Thread: looking for vacation spot mid east coast

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

looking for vacation spot mid east coast

we are thinking of renting a place this early fall on the East coast somewhere between Delaware and North Carolina.
    I am looking for somewhere close to or on a sandy beach, safe and probably quiet. I looked online at Rehoboth and Bethany beach Delaware but they might be too touristy. Anyone have any suggestions?

We've enjoyed Long Beach, NC. It is a family oriented beach community.
    Mrs. Hermit

Hurricane Evacuations can be a concern in late summer/early fall

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    we are thinking of renting a place this early fall on the East coast somewhere between Delaware and North Carolina.
    I am looking for somewhere close to or on a sandy beach, safe and probably quiet. I looked online at Rehoboth and Bethany beach Delaware but they might be too touristy. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Hurricane evacuations can be a concern further south after August 1st. You might have no right to occupy a house, but still be paying for it. Maryland and Delaware might have an advantage there. Ocean City.MD is very touristy, though.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    thanks for reminding me of Hurricanes. We were planning on going last week in August or first of September. I hadn't thought of ocean city. I'll look into Long Beach NC.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Avoid New Jersey. About 90% of the population of Philadelphia goes to the shore for vacation and weekends. Rehoboth Beach is also a popular place.

Yorktown & Willamsburg, VA if you like historic places www.yorkcounty.gov/tourism . www.colonialwilliamsburg.com. Close to the beach but you'd need to drive. Virginna Beach is very touristy. I personally love the Outer Banks of NC myself - and even some of the smaller barrier island places further south - and would suggest many places there. Cape May, NJ is nice too but probably to far north for you. Both Chinquoteague and Assateaque islands are great. www.chincoteague.com www.assateagueisland.com
    Last edited by Spartana; 3-21-12 at 4:49pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Yorktown & Willamsburg, VA if you like historic places www.yorkcounty.gov/tourism . www.colonialwilliamsburg.com. Close to the beach but you'd need to drive. Virginna Beach is very touristy. I personally love the Outer Banks of NC myself - and even some of the smaller barrier island places further south - and would suggest many places there. Cape May, NJ is nice too but probably to far north for you. Both Chinquoteague and Assateaque islands are great. www.chincoteague.com www.assateagueisland.com
    I have heard that the 'biting flies' (?) are bad at Chinquoteague and Assateaque islands --- or is that just for certain times of year, do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnlaurel View Post
    I have heard that the 'biting flies' (?) are bad at Chinquoteague and Assateaque islands --- or is that just for certain times of year, do you know?
    I haven't spent that much time there but when I was there I never had a problem except with the little beach midges (maybe those were the biting flies) and sand fleas. Ticks in the tall grass areas are a different story though. OP might want to consider being vacinated for Lyme disease if they will be spending any time in the woods or lots of heavy vegetation. But there are bugs that time of year in many lessor developed coastal towns in Maryland, Delaware, NC and VA - and probably many places on the east coast. The sea breeze keeps many at bay though and that's especially true of the Outer Banks which I'm more familier with.

Thread Information