Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Grubbies"- AKA (work clothes, kick around wear).

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    For me a better question would have been "Do you have a nice set of clothes reserved for going out...."

Most of my clothes are grubbies... there are however different degrees of grubbiness.
    I agree with Gina...I have very few "nice" clothes. In fact it was a family joke (not told to me until a few years later ) that in every Christmas photo I was wearing the same red sweater. Finally my daughter started laughing one year and I said, "what's so funny"? Then she clued me into the fact that it was a standing joke to look at the family Christmas photo just to see if Mom was wearing that same old red sweater. I didn't believe her, so we looked back on the last few years of photos and she was right!

hmmmm...I like that red sweater (in fact I'm wearing it now - seriously I am). So now I have to make a point of NOT wearing the red sweater in the Christmas photos. Heck there's nothing wrong with my red sweather....Still fits...No holes....What's the problem?! *sigh*

The only time I buy new dressy clothes is when someone gets married - and I only do that cuz I KNOW that if I wear the same dress to two weddings I'll hear about it.

About 15 years ago, I did a serious wardrobe decluttering. I got rid of all the clothes that were the wrong size, or ripped, or stained or otherwise not fit to wear in public. You see where this is leading, don't you? A few months after that, I needed to paint a room. And had no clothes that I was willing to get paint on--everything in my closet was too good to sacrifice. Plus I had very carefully thought out my remaining wardrobe so that every piece of clothing served multiple purposes in multiple outfits.

A trip to the thrift store yielded nothing. A trip to Walmart produced a t-shirt and cotton knit pants, both a size too large (but that's a good thing when you're bending and stretching) for $2.50 each. My $5 grubby outfit.

It's still my grubby outfit, 15 years later. It's been joined by another t-shirt and a very holely pair of jeans and a sweatshirt, so now I have 4 seasons worth of grubby clothes.

So, yeah, be careful when weeding your wardrobe that you remember to save one bad outfit for the dirty jobs.

Wildflower
    As my clothes age and fade they get relegated to work clothes that I mostly garden or clean house in. I usually buy a new outfit or two for the hot weather and cold weather months that become my good clothes to go out in. I really don't have alot of clothes since I no longer work outside the home. My wardrobe is very minimal these days - pretty much jeans, capris, shorts and casual shirts/tops. Since it's freezing and snow covered here right now I'm living in jeans and sweatshirts with thermal underwear underneath when I venture outside with the dogs.

Mrs-M
    Great hearing from you guys!

I have one "all-purpose" set of grubbies that fall under the "use them for everything and anything" category.

No.
    I tend to garden or do other grubby tasks and then realise I'm wearing work clothes.... which then need to be thrown away, due to the rose-thorn damage (or similar!)

I tend to garden or do other grubby tasks and then realise I'm wearing work clothes....
    I do this too often with my better shoes - go out into the yard and am weeding or something, then realize I'm wearing 'good' shoes. Ack. Easy to understand however since my garden shoes were formerly 'good' shoes. No need to rush the transition however.

One of my 'failings' is to buy extremely expensive shoes (in the sales) - I make sure that I change out of them to garden, but forget about the expensive suit I'm wearing!

I have "good clothes" and paint/garden clothes. (Out-shrunk oldies). I also have a set of workout clothes, that the recent cold temperatures have convinced me to augment. Going to the gym in capris when it was 19 degrees was quite the eye-opener one morning!
    Mrs. Hermit

Mrs-M
    Love your "grubbies" stories! Thanks to everyone here for sharing.

I have plenty of "schmutz", as it's labeled on the bin it resides in, but I usually wind up throwing the same old oversized shirt on over whatever I'm already wearing for cooking and most daily garden work. Changing pants is reserved for only the grungiest of tasks. And my shoes at this point fall into two categories: going out, and crap. So usually not an issue either.

Thread Information