Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable or Not to Cable

Cable or Not to Cable

I have basic cable from Charter for watching TV. There have been strong workplace rumors of cut backs, RIF, etc.... I received a flyer from Charter for cable, phone and internet access, a bundle for $80 per month. Frankly, that's a lot of money for me.

However, I feel I need to start job hunting and the most convenient is a home based access. The library has limited access, does not allow the use of flash drives and the free wifi is intermittently avaialble.

I can cancel at any time without penalty. I rarely have time for internet at home. I am considering canceling the installation planned for Saturday afternoon.

What to do?
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

not sure what the $80 buys you? If you just want internet access is there a cheaper way to go? Is it tv etc. that you get too. We don't have tv cable. We have internet hookup for $40 and that is it. I would go cheaper if I could, but that is the bottom line on cable here.

I can't get cable, or satellite, here. I have an OK-ish and somewhat expensive Internet connection, which I use for Netflix streaming, music streaming, cell phone service, and voice-over-IP telephone calls, so it is serving multiple purposes for the price.

I was not clear in my message. The $80 includes Basic cable with an on-demand device, phone service and internet. I currently use a Tracfone. A very no frills pay as you go mobile costing about $25 every 3 months. To be honest, I am not satisfied with the mobile. This may be a generational response, but I miss my old land line. My current bill for basic cable only is $22 per month. I routinely watch PBS and local news. The $80 is a heap of dough every month. I would prefer to put it into my oil fund. But, the threat of employment is creating the need for being proactive. I see this as a proactive step. Modern times and modern tools.

can you cancel the cable tv and just get internet?

Without knowing what percentage $80 is of your household budget, how much you have in an emergency fund or what kinds of expenses you have (i.e. how fast you expect to draw down your emergency fund) it's hard to say.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

I've seen netbooks (mini laptops) on sale for really cheap - less than $400. You could always buy one of those and go somewhere besides the library for the WiFi if that's your main need. That's equivalent to the cost for 3-4 months of cable, internet, phone.

I still have a landline - like you, I just LIKE it better - but I'm incresingly finding it hard to justify not because of the monthly cost, but because of the crazy taxes that come with it - charge after charge. I don't have a bill handy, but it feels like about 25% higher than the "phone" price because of the add-on charges, and I have the cheapest plan available.

just a warning about Charter on these packages. You are tied down to a 2 year contract, just like a cell phone. If you drop or try to downgrade, they will hit you with a service charge. The only thing you are allowed to do is upgrade and then the two years start over again. They call it a price guarantee, I won't say what we call it..........

We have never had cable in our married life - and we seem like fairly adjusted normal people! When Comcast sends us promotional flyers it has been tempting over the years. Then I look at the 1/2 page of fine print - I mean FINE print. I can't read it and frankly I am too lazy to go get a magnifying glass to read it. So I chuck the flyer.

Every once in a while I will see something advertised that is on cable and think that would be fun to watch...but I rarely have time to do the important things of the day...so more TV just isn't an option for me at this time.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it over and called Charter back for a change to services. I cancelled the phone as I heard twice that the tax on phone is high and my tracfone is efficient handling all calls. The Charter phone was only good for instate calls. So that's out. I asked for basic internet, just quality speed not the best and fastest, just quality connection. This dramatically altered my monthly rate to $40 in total. This includes basic tv with on-demand and basic internet. I am satisfied with this price. As said, the fine print may be finer than realized. Unless you specifically ask prepared questions, the rep will not help. Unless you specifically ask for the details, they won't be relayed. It's unfair to expect the consumer to understand the cable business and know what to ask in advance. The agreement is month to month with no penalty to cancel. The technology is advancing to the day when internet and tv merge and cable will start to fade out. I do enjoy PBS programming. On demand gives me the expanded PBS programming with lots of cooking shows and ability to watch any show at any time.

Thread Information