Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a dishwasher worth it?

Reyes
    I use the dishwasher only once a month (we host a monthly dinner party). Given that, if I were redoing my kitchen I would forgo a dishwasher. I don't mind washing my hand. I would leave in plumbing so that if I were to ever move (at this point I want to be in this house for life) the new owners could have a dishwasher easily installed.

In 18 years I've gone thru 4 dishwashers - I'm begining to think that in this house a dishwasher isn't worth it.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

We dont' rinse dishes before putting them into the dishwasher and generally they turn out ok. NOt so much if I am washing the raice pan, though. There is just two of us but I wash a load each day. DH goes through a lot of dishes. Even then, I still wash pots and pans and incidentals only becuase there isn't enough room in the dishwasher. I wouldn't do without one given all of our dirthy dishes.

Guess I don't have much to add. I think compared to my hand method using the DW is really wasteful. But then again it's a lousy dishwasher, so there's no gleeful evil joy involved in indulging and using it, I have to rewash half the stuff anyway. Definitely leave the hole if you don't get one. You can always set the garbage can in there or some homemade shelving.

Bias warning: I grew up handwashing dishes for a family of nine. Dishwashing is not my favorite chore.

My apartment has a crumby basic apartment type dishwasher. I don't generally rinse dishes before putting them in, and I only run the dishwasher about every three days. The dishes and flatware come out sparkling clean. The only thing that it can't tackle is oatmeal--I have to soak the oatmeal bowl and wipe it out before putting it in the dishwasher.

Thread Information