Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Upping our efforts . . .

Kelli, this is the dairy we go to, but I'm sure Cedar Summit would work too.

This thread is making me want to make some yogurt.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

Don't give up on the yogurt making fidgiegirl. Mine came out so well, I was surprised at how simple it was and how good it tasted. I used Straus milk (http://www.strausfamilycreamery.com/) which does not ultra-pasteurize. Several years ago I made yogurt in a yogurt maker and I believe I just used whatever milk I had on hand and while it always worked, this batch I just made in the jar had an excellent taste (I'm thinking the quality of my milk was the reason). As far as checking temperatures, I really did use my thermometer to make sure I had that right. Best wishes on your second batch.

Thanks all for the tips on the milk and the yogurt-making. Tonight I went to Whole Foods to get the stuff to try again, this time with my Mom's yogurt maker. I used the thermometer I had bought all those months ago when I first intended to try. I heated to 185, cooled to 110, put in the starter and some dry milk, and put in the yogurt maker. It is in the yogurt maker right now. Let's hope for the best.

It's funny that in the process of the yogurt making, I was reminded of another way we can reduce waste. We can get milk in returnable glass jugs. It is more expensive (even if you put aside the refundable deposit for the bottle), but it is local, delicious milk. We can get Cedar Summit in glass at our Whole Foods and at Mississippi Market Co-op (if I decide not to be mad at them anymore and to go back . . . we'll see . . . ), which is in walking distance. And I can get that milk that you linked to, Stella, at some of the groceries closer to work. So there are options.

We have started savings our misc. plastics for this program, and it is AMAZING how much we were putting in the garbage that we can send to this recycling program - which has its drop site at MS Mkt - another reason to make peace. I had hoped to organize those all cute-like but haven't gotten that far. So far, just a selection of plastic shopping bags (gleaned from family and friends for poop bags) hanging on hooks at the side door.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

We used to get our milk in glass jars and it was awesome. But, our cow share hasn't converted yet. We are using plastic 2l bottles (half gal). Maybe I should email them and ask if they would be willing to use glass bottles if I supplied them? Hmm.

I am slowly transitioning us over to glass.

First, we have been getting some of our meat in jars. I need to get more jars (i'm using those flip-lid types), and the only meat I can't get wrapped in plastic is the chicken. I get two whole roasting chickens a week, and while the plastic is recycle-able, I'd prefer to get it without any plastic wrapping.

What we don't get in jars (due to the number of jars that we have), I get in paper that is not-waxed, so it is recyclable (also makes good carbon waste for the compost).

Second, i found a bulk store where I can take my jars and refill them. So far, we do get our nuts, dried fruit, etc in bulk, but it's in it's own packaging. So, we are recycling those plastics as well. In this instance, I take my own jars, and they give you a "discount" on the weight to account for the jars. So, this is good for us.

Third, I am replacing the plastic jugs that we have right now. I have one that I refill with vinegar and the other that I refill with soap. But through a brew-supply shop, I found 5 liter, flip-top bottles for $18 each. That's a good price, considering plastic containers of the same size cost $22 each!

I actually need a fair few. We are transitioning from drinking tap to collecting water at the natural spring. It's free, but you have to bring containers. In order to maintain ourselves and have an emergency supply for 3 days, we need sixteen 5l bottles.

Add to that one for vinegar, one for olive oil, and one for soap (all purpose castile), that's a total of 19 bottles. That's $342.

I have containers for these last three (plastics) so they are low priority.

High priority is getting our emergency water supply sorted, and I think a 3 day supply of water is a good start for us. That would be $90 in the glass bottles.

I don't have the money now, but it's something that I can put through the food budget down the track! I was just glad to find a resource.

So there is one -- your brew supply shop!

Fail AGAIN on the yogurt! OMG!!!

I am sure that again, it didn't hold at the proper temp overnight. The yogurt (well, milk) when removed from the yogurt maker, didn't even register 100 on the candy thermometer, and everthing I read said to maintain at 110 for the incubation period.

Frustrating!!!!

I might break down and buy a yogurt maker after all.

Thanks for the tip on the jars ZB . . .
    Kelli

Hmm.. did you say you were borrowing a yogurt maker? Maybe you could turn it on and put warm water in the jar, and see how long it takes to get to temperature, and how long it holds that temp. 100-110 is the recommended range. I have a Salton YM9 for which I paid $10 5 years ago - I love it but unfortunately it was discontinued. However, I saw 2 similar yogurt makers at yard sales last summer. Have you tried using a cooler filled with warm water, or a crockpot on the "keep warm" setting? Check the temp first with water before using costly organic milk in them, though!

just remember, the yogurt may have "failed", but that milk doesn't have to go to waste and can be used in anything you cook. Just fine for milk based soups, baked goods, etc.

glad there's no waste, loose chickens!

I tried again, and success! I ended up buying a yogurt maker on Amazon, the exact one cindy recommended, for $45. We had some gift cards from Christmas so this was no $$ out of our pockets. I liked this model because you could do the little jar OR a big jar. And it turned out!! So happy!! Tonight I am going to do a second batch in a bigger container and try straining it for greek yogurt. Yipppeeeeeeeee! Finally, yogurt-y success! Thanks all for your help and encouragement.

We are off to the biggest textile garage sale of the year this afternoon and I am going to look for some flannel for hankies. I can't find them to buy anymore, and would like to cut down on the Kleenex/TP usage - that's most of the trash going out of our bathroom and bedroom. I need a volume though, as we are pretty high users Once I bought a bunch of washcloths for this purpose, but they were too dang scratchy and just too big to stick in your pocket for a few more uses. I would like to make little flannelettes that can be used for one or two blows, thrown in a bin, washed and put out for the next time. I already have enough hankies for when I'm out and about - it's in home use that is problematic.
    Kelli

Congratulations on the yogurt success!

Thread Information