Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Upping our efforts . . .

After reading a post a year or so ago about using cloth for wiping urine I bought 6 pea green washcloths for me to use. I am amazed at how much less toilet paper we use. They work well, feel nice, clean up well in with the whites and the color keeps my husband from confusing them with regular washcloths.

Mrs-M
    Good on you, Nswef! Comfort, is the first thing I noticed after making the switch. P.S. Love your idea on using a like-colour for your cloths! What an awesome idea!

yup, that's what i started doing too --- using old t-shirts that i'd made into DS's cloth wipes. they were very soft and comfortable. I have three Ts that are going to head into the rag bin, so I think i'll make them into wipes for myself and for DS. It's a simple process of wipe, rinse, and wash. Why not?

i'm thinking of switching from my cloth menstrual pads to a menstrual cup -- less mess apparently (and also less storage). I plan on keeping the pads of course, but if I can get the hang of a cup, that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs-M View Post
    Fidgiegirl. I know it's a stretch (for a lot of people), but have you considered cloth wipes? As in a part-time alternative/option/solution to toilet paper? It was just one more thing I thought of that would allow you to curb paper use.
    Well, I already use reusable menstrual pads as much as I can (not out and about, though I prefer them over plastic pads hands down) but I don't know what DH's reaction would be to the cloth wipes, mainly to laundering. I have considered them . . . how do you keep them between washes, everyone? Do you have a container you keep the dirties in, or just rinse them immediately, or what?
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

I have a jar with vinegar and water in it. Then I rinse them at the end of the week in some hot water in a sink, and line dry. I do them after I do my hand-wash merino sweaters that i got for free from one of my clients.

Ok, here is the actual process. I get a clean one out of the cosmetics bag where i keep them, and then i put a little water on it because I find that more comfortable. Then I wipe, and toss it into the sink and sort myself. I then rinse the wipe right then, and put it into the jar with vinegar/water in it. Then I wash my hands.

Then on Saturdays when I do my hand wash in the laundry sink, I finish that wash by dumping the contents of the jar into hot water in the sink, do an agitate, and then rinse and line dry.

DH doesn't like. I like it fine, and so does DS. We currently buy two rolls of toilet paper per month -- DS soemtimes wastes some being a curious 3 yr old. And sometimes we use them as tissues (rather than using hankies, which is my preference).

Oh, and disappointment. I tried trash palace -- which is a big recycling center here -- to come and get the renovation waste, but they were just putting me in circles and I have a deadline of getting everything out by FRIDAY -- so that's that. I called another waste center to have it hauled away. They will recycle what they can (they told me). There's a fair bit of scrap metal and the wall board is also recyclable. So, while it wasn't a free haul-away, it will at least be mostly recycled.

That is a bummer, Zoebird. It hurt my heart to get a dumpster for our reno waste.

Thanks for the actual procedure on the pee pee cloths. I floated the idea to DH. As predicted, he was not game. But we'll see. We do use a lot of TP.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Mrs-M
    Fidgiegirl. I haven't (as of yet) worked up enough courage to use reusable cloths for anything other than pee-cloths, but I would search around for a smaller sized plastic container (bucket/pail) with a lid, and because you're only dealing with a few drops of urine per cloth, there's no need to concern yourself over rinsing and soaking (unless you want to). To control odour, not that #1 cloths are odorous, you can sprinkle a little baking soda over the cloths at the end of each day (or every couple days).

As for laundering, I would run the cloths through with the likes of underwear, etc (if you consider white cloths). A little detergent, a dash of bleach (if you prefer), followed by a hot water wash. Line-dry/tumble dry.

If I were using cloths as full-time TP, I'd rinse after use, store in a covered pail/bucket, then launder every second/third day. (Same basic process as with cloth diapers).

P.S. So proud of you I am, Fidgiegirl, knowing you use reusable pads!

Yup, most people run them with their whites. But DH is squeamish about my menstrual pads and the cloth wipes, so I do those myself by hand.

Mrs-M
    It's funny, the beliefs and misconceptions some people have Re: washing reusable pads and diapers (and things) in a modern day washing machine. Such a sanitary process. No need to worry over germs or things afterwards.

Thread Information