Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here is a Facebook way to piss off your friends and colleagues

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Facebook makes accidentally pushing one key into a life altering choice.
    I think that depends on what you're sharing -- and the way you share that information and who you share it with can make a huge difference, too. I really don't care if the entire world can find out on Facebook that I "Like" my local Ace Hardware store. Maybe I wouldn't stand in front of the store, offering testimonials to passersby, but about the only harm I can see coming from the world knowing that is from a family member that works at True Value or Hardware Hank. And, if that were the case, I would use some discretion before clicking the Like button. On the other hand, if I chose to reveal about myself or someone else, say, a "non-traditional gender preference", yeah, that could be life-altering. But the level of alteration wouldn't differ all that much whether I told someone on Facebook or whispered it to a friend I thought I could trust.

I'm not trying to defend Facebook unduly. In some thread elsewhere on this site, people are discussing "evil" companies; for me, Facebook's treatment of personal privacy makes it somewhat evil. But people can overshare in many different venues and with no technology other than a shared language, an educated tongue, and a willing ear. It is the information and what the recipient does with it that can be life-altering, not the vector.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    You're right, that would be annoying.

Random posts on one of my friend's "Wall" appear in my email box. Not all of her posts, but some of them. I don't know why. It's messed up.
    I hope this is not what I just received (similar). I am NOT on any of those social "networking" sites, for a few reasons (can't go into all of them). I know they have had issues before, where they change peoples preferences, when they do something new (it resets to the default allow).
    But I received what looks like an ad (third party) asking if a person I know, can ad me as a friend on AOL (which I am not a part of). I didn't even know they have a social networking section (or care). Looks like it was mailed through their mailbox, IMHO, without them knowing.

I try to keep in mind that we're on Facebook to chat and share photos and events - while Facebook is there solely to make money. I'm not going to begrudge them trying to do what they are there for while they are giving me something free.

Thread Information