Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Crafty Thread!

The Crafty Thread!

I am mulling over some sewing projects lately, but with the chaos that is our house, have not worked on any of them.

1) Bathroom curtains: have bought two choices of fabrics Not like me, but we went to the CUTEST quilt shop in Shakopee, in an old brick train depot, and they had such sweet fabrics and my second buy was only $4.49 a yard. Plus our bathroom window is really small so I didn't feel bad double-buying

2) Fitted vinyl tablecloth. Right now we have a big piece of vinyl over our eating table, usually displaying some of DH's vintage tablecloths underneath. But I hate it. It is way too big, so it is always touching my legs when I eat, and in summer that's just awful (I hate stuff touching my legs when I'm in shorts. The car keys touch them too and EW!). And it's always dirty and doesn't really come clean in the washer. Anyway! I found these super cute tablecloths and am contemplating making either a scalloped fitted one or a plain fitted one. I have a gift cert to a place with a large selection of oilcloth, too.

3) Inspired by the "Upping our Efforts" thread, I am trying to think of how to organize all these recycling efforts. Not sure if I could make something to hang where we could put them misc. plastics that will have to go to special destinations (Whole Foods, Aveda, a certain store) but I hate to go and buy a bunch of plastic receptacles for the plastics recycling! Too much irony!

Another project I've had in mind for a LOOOOOOOOONG time is to make some kind of zippered bag where we can keep clean plastic containers for leftovers when we go out to eat, or for bulk goods when we make an unexpected stop at the co-op, but that they will still stay clean. I have a lot of dog hair floating around in my car. (Ew, but true)

Of course, I still need to make some sleeping caps for my father-in-law. His head is really big and he uses a CPAP so he has to have an extra big sleeping hat for keeping his bald head warm. I made him one a few years ago and he liked it.

That's all I can think of for now . . . but it's plenty to get me started!

How 'bout you?
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Fun tablecloth idea! The dotted pattern shown is the oilcloth DD used for her kitchen chair seats - we love it! I have way too many projects overall, but crafty ones are fun! I have a sweatshirt to make into a jacket for my sister, and plenty of fabric to make some overnight type bags. I also want to make covers for my patio cushions - they will just be like large pillow shams, and all different, because I'm using feed sacks, old sheets, etc. that I have on hand - no money to spend on those. I made one last year and then stalled out... hoping for more accomplishments this year!

Can you make some washable big totes for your plastic recycling? I am a big fan of collecting things in pretty bags hanging on doorknobs. So easy to grab and go.

I haven't used my sewing machine in about four years. I'd like to make another quilt. I was going through my fabric stash and my DD picked out a purple print, so I will make her a quilt pretty soon. I still have some fat quarters that I picked up when I was in NYC years ago. I was going to make a scrappy style quilt, but I haven't gotten around to making that either. I swear working full-time, commuting, taking care of a dog and raising a baby left no room for crafting, LOL. I usually just knit for a little bit in the evening. Quilting seemed like too much of a production (even though I know it really isn't), that I couldn't psych myself up for it.

Anyway, I am also knitting myself a long cardigan now. I'm almost done, but I still need to knit the sleeves. With this warm weather I kind of lost my mojo for that project, but I hope to have it done before the fall. I also need to knit my DH a pair of socks. I have a long list of things I would like to knit, but I try to just work on one project at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Can you make some washable big totes for your plastic recycling? I am a big fan of collecting things in pretty bags hanging on doorknobs. So easy to grab and go.
    That's a good idea, especially because we will have to take the plastic items to a location, unlike our curbside recycling. That way we could just put them in the totes, take the whole tote to the destination, and bring it home. Plus, we have a nice set of hooks already mounted in a perfect location. Will have to give this one a think! Thanks!

Your cushion covers sound fun!
    Kelli

Quote Originally Posted by cattledog View Post
    I haven't used my sewing machine in about four years. I'd like to make another quilt. I was going through my fabric stash and my DD picked out a purple print, so I will make her a quilt pretty soon. I still have some fat quarters that I picked up when I was in NYC years ago. I was going to make a scrappy style quilt, but I haven't gotten around to making that either. I swear working full-time, commuting, taking care of a dog and raising a baby left no room for crafting, LOL. I usually just knit for a little bit in the evening. Quilting seemed like too much of a production (even though I know it really isn't), that I couldn't psych myself up for it.
    I find quilting hard. Maybe because it's so big? Although you could break it up into manageable size chunks ("make 3 blocks tonight") so that it still feels fun but leads to the completion of a project. Or maybe DD should get some quilted pillow shams or something like that which would be smaller
    Kelli

I love to read about everyone's projects!
    I'm planning to raid my yarn stash to make some crocheted Easter eggs for my granddaughters. Even if I only get one for each of them made, they will be happy, and maybe it can be the start of an Easter decoration for each of them. These are very cute and don't look like they could take more than 1 hr, each. They only need scraps of yarn, and I've got a pretty big stash.
    Next, I want to make a couple of string bags for the summer, as we find all kinds of ways to use (and lose) them. And a bag keeper for all the shopping bags we re-use.
    And some chocolate chip cookies-oh, yeah!

Cute, cute cute! And what a great idea. I think Easter, with its plastic grass and eggs, etc. is one of the most wasteful holidays. You will give them a cute little treasure that they can use again and again (even if they can't hide candy in it )
    Kelli

Fun thread! I am making up a bunch of cloth napkins. I need good, brainless crafting right now with a quick pay-off time. I have them all cut already, so whenever I have a spare 5 minutes I can whip one up and feel like I accomplished something. It's like cheating, really.

I am also embroidering a unicorns and rainbows pillowcase for Bella.

I am kind of hoping to make a cool chalkboard out of an old window like this one a friend of mine from high school made and posted on her blog. I want a chalkboard for my kitchen.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

DD's bday party is tomorrow and I'll be guiding 8 8-9 year olds through 3 craft projects. I've spent a fair amount of time the past couple of days getting ready for that. They're making clothespin dolls, friendship bracelets, and blankets for Project Linus.

I love the fitted tablecloth and might make one of those, myself! I don't like that modern oilcloth is actually vinyl, though. Don't like having that in my house. But might try one out of a heavy-duty cotton fabric.

re: a bag to keep plastic containers in for restaurant leftovers - personally, I just keep a few containers in one of the many cotton shopping bags I have. We don't have a dog in the car, though. Could you just throw it in the trunk to keep the hair off?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    DD's bday party is tomorrow and I'll be guiding 8 8-9 year olds through 3 craft projects. I've spent a fair amount of time the past couple of days getting ready for that. They're making clothespin dolls, friendship bracelets, and blankets for Project Linus.

I love the fitted tablecloth and might make one of those, myself! I don't like that modern oilcloth is actually vinyl, though. Don't like having that in my house. But might try one out of a heavy-duty cotton fabric.

re: a bag to keep plastic containers in for restaurant leftovers - personally, I just keep a few containers in one of the many cotton shopping bags I have. We don't have a dog in the car, though. Could you just throw it in the trunk to keep the hair off?
    Fun party!! Have a great time.

Re: the bag, nope - no trunk. It's a hatchback. And the hair is pervasive

Stella, love the pillowcase idea! I love embroidering and should get mine out. It would probably help me cut my Internet time
    Kelli

Thread Information