Thread: Update on My "Rut"

Update on My "Rut"

I am happy to report that I have completed three of five days of the work week and have managed to turn my mood and attitude around pretty well. Nothing on the work front has changed (still no job leads) but I decided to give myself a break from the obsessive worrying about the future which was really ruining my days off. I also had an epiphany the other day and realized what is is I am always searching for...I think at this time in my life I am supposed to take care of my spiritual self, which is sorely lacking in any sort of foundation. I am not a religious person by any means and was not brought up that way; in fact, in my family spirituality was never, ever discussed, and religious people were actually kind of scoffed at. But I realize now my usual methods of coping and modes of thinking are kind of faulty at this point and it is ending up hurting me; it just isn't working anymore and I am tired of myself.

That being said, I asked a co-worker, who is a Buddhist, how one learns about Buddhism and how can I see if it might help me move on in my life. So I am now going to go to a lecture on Sunday morning with a couple of co-workers. This is good because I had made a vow earlier in the month that I was going to try one new thing that was completely out of my comfort zone. Also good is that I'll meet more people and maybe develop a new social group as well. For a long time I have realized hanging out in the bars and doing the music thing has gotten pretty old; I just don't enjoy it the way I used to.

AS far as the work thing, I am trying to accept it for what it is and not let it bug me so much. I also have a better idea of how to fill out those da** applications so I don't sound so desperate. I am filling out these stupid things with a cloud of negativity and panic over me, when I should be doing a better job of selling my skills. I'm still going to need to work on that front but I think I won't spend both my days off doing it so intensely. I gotta have a break sometime to relax and recharge too.

So, I am hanging in there and am looking forward to another cozy night of Mad Men, Season 4, Disc 1.
    Thanks to everyone who responded earlier in the week and offered their .02. It really helps that you took the time and I appreciate it.

More power to you, SiouzQ. I have been a much more stable, confident person since discovering Shambhala (like Buddhism, only with a focus on becoming more fearless, open, gentle). It filled a place for me that had been sorely lacking. Good for you, going to the lecture!

Even just meditation would probably do a lot of good (usual modes of coping and feeling being faulty yet not necessarily wanting something religious seems to CRY out for it). Do you do it? I've tried countless times and failed (follow me, don't follow me ...) Maybe again. Especially as Amazon is fond lately of recommending me books on the subject of meditation and psychology. Ok (looking inside these books) maybe the evidence really is there and I should give it another go.

But your situation is one I think most people would find difficult and stressful (ie I don't think your modes of thinking are necessarily super abnormal - but then they are not the Buddha either of course so ... not abnormal but room for improvement) These are the times that try (wo)men's souls.
    Trees don't grow on money

Q, glad to hear you're doing better and have found something new to do. You'll have to let us know how it goes.

Well done, SQ! I hope you find that this step toward a new path brings you lots of insight and joy. Just a little over an hour ago, I happened to see this book in a used book store/library here in Beijing -- I didn't get it, but now wish I had. The author is one of the most highly respected western Buddhist practitioners and also a monk. He translates regularly for many of the most important figures in Tibetan Buddhism. Maybe you will find it interesting/useful:

http://www.matthieuricard.org/en/ind...ons/happiness/

Looking forward to hearing how things develop.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Worry and anxiety are huge 'bondage issues', they just don't let go unless we take a stand.
    As a christian, I really see those rear their ugly heads unless I spend quality time meditating and centering myself.
    My personal retreat weekend back at the end of February did wonders for me and really helped me look for good in things in myself and my situations. I think it made a huge change on my enjoyment of and what I put into my part-time job...just last week I was given another raise.
    Last edited by Float On; 4-21-12 at 2:37pm.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Proud of you, SQ, and could probably take some lessons from your experience myself.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

It's good to see the turnaround, SQ!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information