Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of energy

Lack of energy

Lack of energy has been bothering me for over a year. I've had two complete blood work ups during this time; everything is normal. I was on a blood-pressure med that my doctor didn't like so he took me completely off it; supposedly one of its side effects was lack of energy. I've been off that med for about 4 months but it didn't seem to make a difference in my energy levels. I eat right and exercise 45-60 minutes 6 days a week. I was having some low blood-sugar episodes, so the dr. changed my meds for diabetes; blood-sugar problems solved. So, what's my problem? Its terrible having to push for every little thing during daily life. My social life is suffering; I don't feel like getting dressed to go out! We haven't entertained friends since Thanksgiving because its too much effort to cook.

Please! Someone give me an answer! TIA!

Mrs-M
    I'm sorry to hear that, Glo. My mom and dad started on a few supplements as of late, which, according to them, has revived energy in the both of them. They are now taking CoQ10 and Vitamin B12. Both are apparently extremely beneficial in relation to increased energy levels.

Have you been assessed for sleep apnea? Even mild apnea can disrupt sleep enough to derail you, and you may not realize it as the disruption don't wake you fully.

My dr. and I discussed supplements but we agreed they don't do anything; maybe some people seem to get a benefit but its all mental. My B12 level was good so its not that.

As far as sleep apnea, I really didn't sleep well for over 10 years. Dr. suggested I take a pill with melonamin, zinc, and magnesium. ( I guess that qualifies as a supplement, but he suggested his brother take that and it helped him with sleep.) Health food stores did not have that particular pill; they had supplements but they all had a bunch of extra stuff in there I didn't want. DH found the three-ingredient pill on e-bay of all places. It cost $10 for a month's supply. I took the pill and have slept well every night for the past 3 months. It might be a mental thing, but I'll take it!

I hear you, I seem pretty much always tired too (maybe since the time change?) Will see what people say. Blood sugar normal here.
    Trees don't grow on money

was your vit D level checked?

For me, such symptoms were related to sleep apnea, and lack of vitamin D.

If you have sleep apnea, taking some sort of pill/suplement to help you sleep won't really address the underlying issue, and while you may *think* you are sleeping well, you may well not be.

Could it be depression? I had a serious depression 2 years ago, which as I look back on it, started as a lack of energy, tired all the time, and just general malaise.

You might want to check the side effects of any drugs, prescription or OTC, that you're taking. Unfortunately, most pills cause side effects. Here's an article from AARP regarding medications that can cause depression, fatigue, et cetera:

http://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-sup...ression.1.html

(I disagree with one of the alternatives suggested, an antidepressant [Effexor] to replace anticonvulsants. This drug has many bad side effects, not the least of which is a great deal of difficulty in tapering off of it. All of the SSRI antidepressants have scary side effects, so please avoid those.)

You can buy melatonin, magnesium, and zinc separately, if you wish, from just about any drugstore or health products outlet. Sublingual melatonin is supposed to be the most effective.

I agree with all of the vitamin and supplement suggestions above. I perked up quite a bit after I started taking vitamin D, and the vitamin B complex I just started seems to be helpful, too. I've been taking Ubiquinol, a form of COQ10, for about a year to help in reversing muscular wasting from Lipitor.

Glo, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I've run into this a couple of times in the past.

You have three very good leads in sleep apnea, depression, and vitamin D deficiency. I've suffered from all three, plus anemia, at different times. The vitamin D showed no symptoms that I noticed.

Another idea could be not enough time outdoors during the day. Could show up in either depression or vitamin D deficiency.

Could also have a nutritional issue causing excessive ups and downs in blood sugar and bodily wear and tear, perhaps too long a time between meals or not enough lean protein. You might find a nutritional class at low cost through a local hospital.

Take care, and let us know how things work out!

Thread Information