Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "other women hate me for my lovely looks"

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Part of me thinks it's all part of some elaborate publicity stunt...

Any thoughts?
    That is exactly how I treat almost any "news" from sources such as the Daily Mail (or MSNBC or CBS or Fox...). It's just easier to start out like that rather than jump through all the hoops and end up there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    That is exactly how I treat almost any "news" from sources such as the Daily Mail (or MSNBC or CBS or Fox...). It's just easier to start out like that rather than jump through all the hoops and end up there anyway.
    Yea, but I don't think we have much quite like this in the U.S.. I slam the U.S. media real hard but that's for all that they don't report, which is enough of a crime for something calling itself media. But just deliberately fostering cruelty toward particular people not in the public eye (not politicians and not something like "the country of Iran" or something - that's bad but it's not apples to apples) is just hmm ... not sure we have anything like that.

Really was amazingly how cruel people were to this person, a witch hunt. And they all are self rightously cruel, she deserved it because she was arrogant or unjustifiably arrogant and because she wasn't attractive enough (as if even the stars are always without all the botox and fillers and surgery and even then sometimes photoshop etc.). No, cruelty like that is a far worse than a bit of excessive (even if undeserved) pride which is a minor sin really. Because see the media thing may be entirely fake, and I highly suspect so, but unless all the commentary is fake, the reaction of people to the bait is very real. Yea I admit I dove deeper and deeper into this morass reading the comments and stuff - even clicked the Daily Mail, oh that is the last time from now on only the Guardian
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Whenever I want to feel despair over the human race I read comments following internet articles. I guess the anonymity brings out the unbridled meanness of people. In fact, I've often been glad I've had the SLN safe haven to retreat to--we have our moments on this forum but nothing like the horrible, insensitive discussions out there in the mainstream!
    I'm always amazed that many people seem to spend a lot of time leaving comments. I seldom read any of them, especially when there are lots.

To be fair - has anyone 'viewed' Mr Brick?

I was told that Ms Brick was a freelance who offered up her article to the Daily Mail.

'nuff said'!

Yea and her article history is actually totally inconsistent with the impression of a woman who views herself as the most beautiful evah etc.. I mean she may think she's fairly attractive, but the woman worries about acne, and obsesses about her weight, etc. etc.. In fact her story is rather inconsistent period. But the viciousness of the masses ganging on her is still - wow. A trashy paper printing trashy Cr@P for sure (wish they go out of business ) but people can be so cruel.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    To be fair - has anyone 'viewed' Mr Brick?

I was told that Ms Brick was a freelance who offered up her article to the Daily Mail.

'nuff said'!
    EXACTLY!

Now if you want to see a reaction that should make you feel sick, make you cry out loud, make you wonder just what the hell is wrong with the human race then read the reactions to those fragile young girls who asked the cyber world if they were pretty or not. This Daily Mail piece is a farce, that is a tragedy.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    This all brings to mind a woman who was on here posting for awhile - I think she was banned or moved on - about how good looking she was and how other women were so mean to her. This was like back maybe in 2006? I don't remember her name here but I do remember there was a bit of controversy about her. It did seem like she was here to stir things up and get reactions but there were some really nasty comments directed her way too.....Amazing to me how looks are such a big deal to some people, it makes me grateful to be middle aged and off the radar screen. Rob

Perhaps if she slanted the article on how difficult it can be to be taken seriously in a non-traditonal male dominated job as a "tall. blonde, atrractive woman" she might have a bit better leverage in whining

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Perhaps if she slanted the article on how difficult it can be to be taken seriously in a non-traditonal male dominated job as a "tall. blonde, atrractive woman" she might have a bit better leverage in whining
    Hahaha! Ditto for short, brunette, meh women. i found that you will be tested a few times, but once you pass you're in.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Zoebird View Post
    i have several takes on the matter.

1. Jealousy

The reality is that people get jealous over all kinds of stupid things -- myself included. Whenever this woman encountered problems in her work life, it may not have been about her appearance -- she might have simply assumed that. It may have been from any number of things.

In talking with a friend of mine (great guy) about some of my past experiences and not knowing what the deal was, he said that he suspects it was two things: 1. they were intimidated by my ability/talent/skill; and 2. i'm pretty damn direct in my opinion. if I think something isn't great, I'll tell them "I think that you need to work on the following 72 areas." He says it's like skilled knife work. You are cut precisely with no bones about it. LOL He's right, too. This kicks up all kinds of resentments and frustrations for people -- and can make it difficult to work with me. And hence, I get fired.

or, it could be my good looks, seeing as I'm blond, tall, smile a lot, and more attractive than the lady in the picture if I do say so myself.

But I think that always defaulting to "she doesn't like me because I'm attractive" is. . . not being clear about the whole picture of myself? an excuse perhaps to not have to take responsibility for my knife skills?

2. I wouldn't necessarily assume that people are nice to her because she is so beautiful.

I figure that I'm not that pretty. I think it's because of my life experiences, and in part because i don't put a whole lot of stock in my appearance. My husband says I'm very pretty, and other people have said so as well, but I've focused more on cultivating my intellect and "person" than on cultivating my looks. My husband says it's refreshing that I don't "trade on" my looks.

Nevertheless, like this woman, I get a lot of attention.

I assume it is because I am friendly and pleasant.

I find it very important to be well mannered. To make eye contact and to smile at people. To treat others very generously -- giving them attention in my day to day life. I hold doors for people, smile at them, will pay bus fare if need be, hold bags for them while they organize their luggage, or whatever else may need to happen. I tend to strike up conversations with strangers, and I try to treat people very well in general.

People appreciate this behavior -- both when receiving and observing it -- and i get a lot of compliments and nice treatment. I've had meals paid for, coffee/tea/fluffy for the kid purchased, been upgraded to first class on flights, etc etc etc.

or it could be because I was pretty.

But I suspect it was because I was. . . you know. . . nice.

3. Expressing Self-Opinion vs Narcissism

I don't know if this woman is vain or narcissistic. Maybe she is. I think she has a high opinion of her looks, though I assume she's pinning a lot of things on her looks that may not be because of her looks (as above). There is nothing wrong with stating "I feel pretty" or "I think I'm prettier than she is." (I actually do think that about myself. I personally found her quite plain.). But, i think it can come off as egotistical if the writing is -- as this article is -- "oh, it is SO HARD being this pretty!"

That just is whining and being vain and thats. . . really annoying.

I don't consider my looks to be any sort of burden, nor my intelligence, nor my manners or friendliness. I certainly don't consider it a burden when others buy my meal or coffee or fluffy for my DS.

And if something negative happens to me, I don't assume it is because of my "looks." I assume it must be something else -- either something that I did or something within them about which I have no knowledge and over which I hve no control. And most times, it's a combination of both.

I don't know. I think this article is weird.

I didn't read the comments.
    Zoebird!!!! I am your twin. But I am the prettier one.
    author of A Holy Errand

Thread Information