Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cookies

Cookies

Do you have special cookies that you make in the summer?
    Around here, we like all cookies, all the time. So, except for cut-outs that are blatantly Christmasy, there is really no difference in what cookies I bake in the summer or any other season. I wondered if other people did it differently?
    My mom basically only baked about 3 kinds of cookies, so we got them year round. I am trying to broaden my repertoire of cookies, though, and wondered if I should keep some of the heartier ones for winter/Christmas. Probably I won't, but I wondered what other people do.
    I guess it's kind of like soup. I know people who really don't eat soup in the summer. I love it anytime and, of course, you can always make a cold soup when it is hot outside. Since I like it anytime, it doesn't really matter to me.

How about you? Enquiring minds want to know!

Just thinking that lemon cookies are a nice light flavor for the summer. Chocolate chips are always a favorite no matter what time of year. Maybe you should look T some summer tea part menus they probably have some great ideas!

I was going to say lemon cookies as well - very refreshing. Sugar cookies and snickerdoodles as well. I don't like making anything with chocolate during the summer months, but if the kids ask for chocolate chip I'll usually bake them, freeze them and then break them up with a little icecream.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

It's funny that lemon comes to mind in the summer, since it's actually a winter fruit, but I agree, it is refreshing. I just made a very delicious new citrus cookie from a recipe that I got out of Everyday Food magazine. Glazed Citrus Doodles This recipe is definitely a keeper for me.

For me, chocolate is not a winter-only flavor. I think the only flavors that don't appeal to me in the summer are pumpkin and ginger/molasses cookies.

Kara

Have to agree with Kara, pumpkin and ginger/molasses is really a fall/winter flavor to me too.
    Maybe even an orange cookie for summer?

Those chocolate drop cookies with a little peanut butter and a lot of oatmeal? Not that they're summery exactly, I make them in every season!

+1 to what Gregg said, if its those ones that don't require any actual baking, just boiling the butter, sugar, milk and cocoa.

+2 to Gregg, except I don't use peanut butter and I add coconut. They are my favorite cookies.

Thanks for the link Treehugger - I've marked it to give that one a try.

Anyone have a cookie with blueberries???
    I'm tired of scones.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I usually think of lemon when I think of summer,too, though I find it refreshing year round. I'm not so fond of orange, but lemon is really great. Maybe I'll make some lemon bars today. I'd also like to make some lemon curd, while lemons are so plentiful and relatively inexpensive.
    Treehugger, thanks for the link. I am definitely going to try them!
    I can eat pumpkin year round. Pumpkin is our favorite pie, and the kids will start asking for it in July. Eventually I will give in and make it. Have been looking at a soft gingersnap recipe and will probably make that. I think ginger also has a clean, refreshing taste.
    Mint is a good summertime flavor, too.
    Float On, I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for a blueberry cookie, but I think you could substitute blueberries for another fruit in a bar cookie recipe, or maybe in place of chocolate chips or maraschino cherries. I used to have a good recipe for apricot bars, in which you cooked the apricots for the filling. Alas, I have lost that recipe, but I'm sure I can find something similar, and a cooked blueberry filling could be used. Personally, I only like blueberries in muffins, but my dh loved blueberry pie, so I used to make that occasionally, but haven't done so recently. Maybe it is time to do so again.

Thread Information