Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steel Cut Oats!

I bought a small amount from the bulk bin - and probably didn't cook them long enough - about 15 min and they were still pretty chewy - and certainly made a mess on the stove! I have more that I can cook up, maybe the night before and re-heating is the best way to go, or it is the back to quick oats for me! Time is too short in the a.m. packing lunches, running, showering, reading the paper,etc. 5:00 a.m. sometimes just isn't early enough!

Oh, no, no, no! Greg, to cook steel cut oats you need about 30-40 minutes. Or try soaking them overnight and then blasting them in the microwave. I always cook mine with soy milk (yes, I know, not the correct way at all), and I do them on the stove top, so, no, I don't eat them during the week. They're not fast food, I'm afraid, but they are very good.

Thanks SoSimple -- I knew I must be doing something wrong -- as everyone keeps raving about them and hmm it just wasn't doing anything for me! I will give it another go!

The little sign on the bulk bin said to cook for 15-20 minutes.

Signs tell fibs... have seen same direction on whole groats and fine milled oats... HAH ... leading people astray.

I try to cook them after dinner, then microwave them in the morning- boil water, pour in oats ( on stove) stir until it comes to a boil again, let boil 2 or 3 minutes, put the lid on, turn off the burner ( keep an eye on it until the burner is cool or it WILL boil over!) or take it off the burner- let sit until the water is absorbed and put it in the refrigerator. I heat a bowl of them in the microwave ( 1 1/2 minutes at 10 power) add butter and honey. I love them.

I guess I'm just picky. I just have to have any kind of hot cereal fresh from the pot. NOT reheated. It's just not the same. I too have a problem with trying to cook a single serving for 40 minutes. But I'm willing to try it again with a finer grain.

I've never cooked Scottish oats for 40 minutes! I soak overnight and then bring to a rolling boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until they are cooked! 40 minutes would turn them into glue, in my experience!

My recipe: 1 cup steel cut oats, 4 cups water, generous sprinkling of cinnamon and some maple extract if desired

In a pot, mix the oats and water. Bring to a boil and cook on medium heat (stirring frequently with a wooden spoon) until most of the liquid has been absorbed (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat. Cover the pot with a lid and leave overnight on counter. Next day put desired amount of oatmeal in a bowl. Stir in some raisins. Cover with a paper towel and microwave 2 minutes. Stir and microwave again for about a minute or until hot. Serve with milk and brown sugar. The leftover oatmeal can be frozen in serving size portions. Thaw overnight and heat as above in the microwave.

I've just found it easiest to cook them in the Sun Oven (or any conventional oven at about 300-325 degrees) in a covered casserole dish, just about like brown rice, except about 3-4 parts of water to 1 part of oats, instead of 2 to 1 like brown rice. I bring the water to a boil, stir in the oats, put the lid on the casserole pan and pop in the oven for about an hour. Perfectly done every time. And no stirring or any attention needed while cooking.

In the morning, you can heat up easily in the microwave, or in a double boiler on top of the stove. If they are really thick, you can even add a bit of water and heat on the stovetop, stirring constantly (takes about two minutes).

I use quick cook steel cut oats to get fresh cooked steel cut oats quickly. Trader Joe's brand is an affordable choice. The cereal has a lot of texture without being extremely chewy.

I microwave 3/8 cup (2 oz) of oats with 1 cup of water in a high sided bowl for 4-5 minutes to get a non-runny consistency. Recently I started cooking 1/4 cup of quick cook oats with 1/4 cup of Country Choice Multi Grain hot cereal (rye, barley, oats, wheat), which is less messy and also good.

Thread Information