Thread: Getting a Keyboard Key Unstuck

Getting a Keyboard Key Unstuck

Oh my gosh if anyone can help me with this I will buy them a beer! Or a coffee! or a donut!

The "e" key on my laptop is permanently stuck in "down" mode. It works when I type, but if I every so lightly press on it with a finger, like when my hands are resting on the "home row," I get eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I'm finding eeeeeeee in everything I write! And I'm a writer so this is really embarrassing.

I tried removing the key and cleaning it really well with canned air and rubbing alcohol but it didn't work. The little suction cup thingy under the plastic looks clean but something is making it stick.

Any ideas on how to fix this are greeeeeeeeeeeeatly appreciated.

Wow, I can't believe there aren't any responses yet. Am I the only one with a stuck keyboard key?

Apparently so.
    The only problem I've ever had with a keyboard is one I'm currently having and the Enter key isn't working as well as it should. I have to kind of hit it harder - which makes DH think I'm mad at something on line all the time now.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

My cheap keyboard often gets various vowels stuck (why only vowels, I wonder)? One time the "u" got stuck for about a week and I was too lazy and cheap to go buy a new one, so I ended up turning it into a joke when doing FB posts by using really creative spelling (I used the "v" for the "u". But when I really needed to write something serious I got so pissed off I picked up the keyboard and banged it down really hard on the desk; lo and behold, it unstuck and has worked since!
    If that doesn't work for you just go buy a cheap keyboard and be done with it. I've made this one last for quite a awhile now and it was around $15.

If trying to do it myself, I would remove an adjacent key and examine how it looks, how it sets in nonstick position, etc and then see if the E key works the same. I don't know what else to say. I would also google search the issue and see what others have done.

Quote Originally Posted by HumboldtGurl View Post
    I tried removing the key and cleaning it really well with canned air and rubbing alcohol but it didn't work. The little suction cup thingy under the plastic looks clean but something is making it stick.
    You've already done what I was about to suggest, which makes a response difficult. I might try something with a Teflon (PTFE) lubricant in it, anything you use should be marked as safe for plastics and electronics.

Other than that, use an external USB keyboard until you can have the old keyboard replaced or a new laptop bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    You've already done what I was about to suggest, which makes a response difficult. I might try something with a Teflon (PTFE) lubricant in it, anything you use should be marked as safe for plastics and electronics.

Other than that, use an external USB keyboard until you can have the old keyboard replaced or a new laptop bought.
    Dang. Geeez it really irritates me the way these things are built for obsolescence.

Thank you for the ideas!

Thread Information