Thread: Call the Midwife

Call the Midwife

I got hooked on Jennifer Worth's books about midwives in the 1950's in the East End of London. I would also love to catch the T.V. series. Does anyone know if it's available for viewing in the US? Word is it is surpassing Downtown Abbey in popularity (and I love Downton!)

Edited to add that I think this probably fits better under reviews...

Hi Sunnyjoe. I posted the same thing and hope for an answer.

Tiam, I saw your post. Too funny! I'm sure it will get here eventually. Have you read the books?

No, I actually know nothing about this...now I know there are books! I just saw some buzz about it in reference to Downton Abbey.

There's one called "The midwife : a memoir of birth, joy, and hard times" which is pretty easy to find in libraries here. The other two "Shadows of the Workhouse" and "Farewell to the East End" were harder to find. I couldn't even get them through inter-library loan. I ended up getting them from a reseller on Amazon. I've read two of the three so far and they are all really engaging and well written. I love personal narratives of hard times so they are right up my alley. I've watched all of the trailers for the show on-line and it looks great. Can't wait for it to make it's way to PBS (assuming it does).

Thread Information