Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: New job update and other stuff (long post)

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,204
    Oh I tried to avoid the news when unemployed or at any rate the *ECONOMIC* news (non-economic news might be ok - plenty depressing also but not personal). Because I just knew in my gut (well and even in official unemployment stats that got through)) that things weren't good. But I really didn't want to read gloom and doom in the business section every day. Although I'm not sure one can avoid it for 3 years.
    I hope that someone saves a seat for me on the last plane out

  2. #32
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,464
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    ...

    And if I say anything to my mom about it? She says, "It's all Obama's fault for bailing out the banks." Yeah, right.
    You might want to point out the bank bailout was rushed through Congress by President Bush, late in his second term. Let's give credit where credit is due. Pun intended.

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    952
    I have tried to tell her that but she just hates Obama and won't listen. It's embarrassing.

    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    You might want to point out the bank bailout was rushed through Congress by President Bush, late in his second term. Let's give credit where credit is due. Pun intended.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    952
    We stopped our newspaper subscription recently and don't really watch or listen to the news. But it does pop up online every now and then, much as I'd like to avoid it!

    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Oh I tried to avoid the news when unemployed or at any rate the *ECONOMIC* news (non-economic news might be ok - plenty depressing also but not personal). Because I just knew in my gut (well and even in official unemployment stats that got through)) that things weren't good. But I really didn't want to read gloom and doom in the business section every day. Although I'm not sure one can avoid it for 3 years.

  5. #35
    Senior Member dmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    You might want to point out the bank bailout was rushed through Congress by President Bush, late in his second term. Let's give credit where credit is due. Pun intended.
    And the democrats were in the majority in Congress. They could have stopped it if they wanted to.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Gardenarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    2,792
    Hi LIB -

    I can sympathize with your position. I am a reference librarian at a community college and we also have a hiring freeze. We had a really hard time when our circulation supervisor took early retirement; it was 2 years before we were able to get a replacement for her position. We all had to take on extra duties due to the cuts. Our open hours have also been reduced. I am part-time by choice (though I sure would love those benefits.)

    Despite the hiring freeze, some people (including me) have had their hours increased. Being part-time can sometimes be a good thing during hard times - it is so much cheaper to give a current employee a few more hours than to hire someone new! At my college, the library director basically has to go begging to the dean and the college president for staff increases - it is slow, but increases do happen (and when you get an increase in hours, it is usually permanent.)

    You should be able to apply for and receive unemployment for the summer months. (At least, in California you can.) Many of our adjunct faculty do this not only for the summer break but for the winter break as well (we are closed one month December-January.)

    The full-time librarians here earn 70-100K for a 10 month position. (This is in San Francisco - it's very expensive to live around here.) We would never consider a librarian without an MLS. There are virtually no openings in the libraries around here. When there is an opening, there are often more than 100 applicants. It's a tough market right now. It has really changed - when I got my MLS (almost 30 years ago ) everyone thought it was an odd career choice. I think the increased interest in libraries and librarianship can only be a good thing, but it sure makes it hard when looking for a job.

    I wish I had some advice to give you about work, but I can only offer my best wishes and blessings for you.
    As we live a life of ease, everyone of us has all we need. Sky of blue and sea of green...

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    beyond the pale
    Posts
    1,469
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    And the democrats were in the majority in Congress. They could have stopped it if they wanted to.
    never had a veto-proof majority

  8. #38
    Senior Member dmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    never had a veto-proof majority
    Didn't it have to pass through congress first? It seams that the Senate is having no problem these days holding things up with their Democratic majority there. They had both houses from 2008 to 2010.

  9. #39
    Senior Member mtnlaurel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    859
    LIB ... Here's a thought
    Are you politically inclined in any way?
    Maybe throwing yourself into one of the campaigns local headquarters might be a good way to connect with people and show off your marketing skills?

    I know you are on a news fast right now, but it might be a way to tangibly and meaningfully make the most of the one thing you have at your fingertips -- time.
    The killer of extended unemployment is the emotional toll I think. It's hard to keep your MoJo sharp under cruddy circumstances.

    You do have one thing that many people are envious of -- Time.
    But it is SOOOOOO hard to see that as an advantage when you are sweating your finances!

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    952
    I don't qualify for unemployment benefits. I only worked there from March 20 to May 7 for 17 hours a week. I can't collect because I am a 99er and I ran out of benefits a year ago. My hours won't start up again until August.

    I just found out the "hiring freeze" is relative. They're trying to fill one of the MLS positions. This is after the dean told me I was "probably the last person to be hired on campus." Why do I feel like people in institutions are always lying?



    Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Hi LIB -

    I can sympathize with your position. I am a reference librarian at a community college and we also have a hiring freeze. We had a really hard time when our circulation supervisor took early retirement; it was 2 years before we were able to get a replacement for her position. We all had to take on extra duties due to the cuts. Our open hours have also been reduced. I am part-time by choice (though I sure would love those benefits.)

    Despite the hiring freeze, some people (including me) have had their hours increased. Being part-time can sometimes be a good thing during hard times - it is so much cheaper to give a current employee a few more hours than to hire someone new! At my college, the library director basically has to go begging to the dean and the college president for staff increases - it is slow, but increases do happen (and when you get an increase in hours, it is usually permanent.)

    You should be able to apply for and receive unemployment for the summer months. (At least, in California you can.) Many of our adjunct faculty do this not only for the summer break but for the winter break as well (we are closed one month December-January.)

    The full-time librarians here earn 70-100K for a 10 month position. (This is in San Francisco - it's very expensive to live around here.) We would never consider a librarian without an MLS. There are virtually no openings in the libraries around here. When there is an opening, there are often more than 100 applicants. It's a tough market right now. It has really changed - when I got my MLS (almost 30 years ago ) everyone thought it was an odd career choice. I think the increased interest in libraries and librarianship can only be a good thing, but it sure makes it hard when looking for a job.

    I wish I had some advice to give you about work, but I can only offer my best wishes and blessings for you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •