Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New job update and other stuff (long post)

New job update and other stuff (long post)

Hi, everyone:

I thought I would drop in and post an update on my new job. I have to confess, I'm feeling a bit down right now.

I love the job, that is the first thing I want to say. It's quiet, it's relatively stress-free and it pays a decent wage.

However, since I started, a couple of weird things happened.

First of all, one of my coworkers might be leaving. She applied for a job at the college where I used to work, and is waiting to hear from them. I would be a natural for filling her job, but they put a freeze on hiring very recently. I just heard this from the Dean of the library today. Circulation is considered "essential" and the library is an "essential building" (i.e. we're open during snowstorms) so I am hoping the dean would be able to swing something as to my being hired full time. But he's saying that he's already down 3 people (one quit to move to another state, two are retiring) and he can't replace them.
    I feel bitter and angry. I lost my last job on a campus due to "cutbacks." It took me a YEAR+ to get this job...and it's only 17 hours a week. I feel like "Why me, Lord?"

I really, really need a full time job, as well as all the benefits that go with it. And believe me, I've applied for everything from clerical to professional...and nothing happened. If I don't find another job, I am going to have to take more money from my retirement account. And of course I don't want to.

I don't think the co worker got the other job, to be honest. They haven't gotten in touch with her and they were supposed to a week ago.

Anyway...get this:

The woman I mentioned, who might be leaving? Well, her husband works at our local community college, and they were looking to fill a full time reference librarian job.

She said according to her DH, no one even applied for this job who has an MLS. Supposedly this is because the salary is so low? I don't know--I thought the average librarian salary was about $40K. My co worker said in academia, it'd be more like $60K for a reference librarian and that a lot of folks don't want to work in community colleges (especially this particular one, which is sort of at an 8th grade level). BUT the last person they hired, the one who is leaving this position, did not have an MLS either, but they hired her and paid for her to go to Clarion's online program!

I ran this past a few people in my online librarian-wanna-be's group, and they all think that it's crazy. Like, in this economy, who would turn down a $40K job? Especially someone with student loans to pay back.

My DH and my Mom think my co worker is a bit on the wacko side. They said, "Who would go around telling the new employee that they're leaving, when they're not even sure of it themselves?" etc.

I applied, and have heard nothing. I also applied for a part-time/summer only library clerk job in another town, explaining to them that my job is only Sept.-May. Have heard nothing. I did want to get as much library experience as I can in case I go for my MLS.

I am starting to feel depressed and desperate again. How long can this possibly go on? Am I going to end up depleting all my retirement savings? I know, I know: people do it. Sometimes I tell myself, Hey, your dad didn't even LIVE till retirement...so use the money if you need it now. (He died at 50, of cancer; I am going to be 48). OUr poor dean can't even retire because of what's happened to our economy.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Keep looking for a job, I guess. I really don't want to go back into PR because I realize in retrospect how much I hated it and how stressed out I was all the time.

I have people praying for me. I only hope it can help.

Community college librarian jobs are a sweet gig and in this economy I can assure you any job that pays that much will get MLS applicants.

I'm not clear on this: have you ASKED your boss to go full time? You've got to actually ask for what you want.
    Trees don't grow on money

LIB:

First of all, try to stem the slip back into depression and hopelessness. No, your current situation is not ideal but YOU GOT A JOB! And you are doing well at it, no?

Talk with the Dean about possibilities of you increasing your hours, if not going full time. Even if there is a hiring freeze -- no, make that ESPECIALLY if there is a hiring freeze. They would not be hiring you, they would be expanding your hours. There's a difference, no? Well, I would think a case could be made.

Do some fact checking and if that community college job is still open APPLY FOR IT! What do you have to lose? They hired one person without an MLS already, maybe they would consider you.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that there is no reason to mire yourself in the negative. You are on the upswing, and there is a lot of potential here. Your college is understaffed and you are RIGHT THERE. There are apparently good jobs going unfilled for lack of applicants. I also question whether your coworker is the most reliable source of information, but regardless, you now have some possibilities for getting inside information, and you should do whatever you can to take advantage of those.

And I can't say it enough times. Try to keep focused on the positive and make whatever opportunities you can come out of this new position. You have a chance to prove yourself here -- and you can! One foot in front of the other, onward and upward.

Good luck!

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I'm not clear on this: have you ASKED your boss to go full time? You've got to actually ask for what you want.
    Not exactly. It's likely that a "position" has to be available before OP can move into it. Her boss is saying that he doesn't have the authority to create a position, his higher-ups are freezing positions.

LIB:

First of all, try to stem the slip back into depression and hopelessness. No, your current situation is not ideal but YOU GOT A JOB! And you are doing well at it, no?

Talk with the Dean about possibilities of you increasing your hours, if not going full time. Even if there is a hiring freeze -- no, make that ESPECIALLY if there is a hiring freeze. They would not be hiring you, they would be expanding your hours. There's a difference, no? Well, I would think a case could be made.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    Community college librarian jobs are a sweet gig and in this economy I can assure you any job that pays that much will get MLS applicants.

Kind of what I figured!

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Well, no. And here is why: My coworker told me about her potential job the 2nd week I started. I thought I would "wait and see" since she seemed so darned sure she was getting the job. But I think I will let him know that if something full time comes up, I am interested.

Quote Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
    LIB:

Do some fact checking and if that community college job is still open APPLY FOR IT! What do you have to lose? They hired one person without an MLS already, maybe they would consider you.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that there is no reason to mire yourself in the negative. You are on the upswing, and there is a lot of potential here. Your college is understaffed and you are RIGHT THERE. There are apparently good jobs going unfilled for lack of applicants. I also question whether your coworker is the most reliable source of information, but regardless, you now have some possibilities for getting inside information, and you should do whatever you can to take advantage of those.

And I can't say it enough times. Try to keep focused on the positive and make whatever opportunities you can come out of this new position. You have a chance to prove yourself here -- and you can! One foot in front of the other, onward and upward.

Good luck!

lhamo
    Yes, I am doing well at the job, so far. You are right--it's expanding hours, not necessarily creating a new position. We are a small staff--and when we lose all 3 (possibly 4) people, we'll be losing approximately 1/4 of it!

I did apply for the community college job, even though it was closed. I sent my letter right to the library director--and have heard nothing at all.

Thank you for your encouragement (not just lhamo, but everyone). It is difficult for me not to get depressed--it seems to be my usual frame of mind for years now--but I'm going to fight it!

LIB, have you read the book "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy?" Classic guide to the cognitive behavioral therapy approach. I first read it at the suggestion of a therapist back in high school. I still pull it out from time to time when I find myself slipping into those negative thinking patterns. Hard to retrain/rewire your brain, but definitely worth the effort. Good luck and keep coming back for support. I've struggled with depression my whole life, and went through a truly horrible period after leaving my previous job a few years ago, but a great new job and some changed personal habits have brought me to a totally new and positive place. FIGHT! It is worth it. YOU are worth it.

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Thread Information