Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New job update and other stuff (long post)

LIB - I apologize if I have missed this in any of your other posts, but have you considered a temp agency? You could pay the bills being a temp receptionist or secretary or similar, while continuing the search for something in the library field . . . Also make connections and possibly find a full-time job through one of the temp positions.

Quote Originally Posted by mamalatte View Post
    LIB - I apologize if I have missed this in any of your other posts, but have you considered a temp agency? You could pay the bills being a temp receptionist or secretary or similar, while continuing the search for something in the library field . . . Also make connections and possibly find a full-time job through one of the temp positions.
    Thank you, mamalatte--I thought I could do this, too. There doesn't seem to be any such thing anymore--a temp secretary or receptionist. All I ever see from temp agencies is "customer service" or "call center" jobs for $8-10 an hour. Nowhere near enough money (neither is the library, for that matter). I don't understand. The world I lived in seems to have vanished.

Geez, really? I had some good-paying and pleasant jobs through that avenue in my day, but I guess that WAS like 20+ years ago now....

I had zero luck with a temp agency, even with typing and word processing credentials. It's been over ten years since I looked for work and my perspective is that you had better make some contacts. With few exceptions, "It's not what you know, it's who you know" was never truer. The last job I got was a referral from one of my college instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by mamalatte View Post
    Geez, really? I had some good-paying and pleasant jobs through that avenue in my day, but I guess that WAS like 20+ years ago now....

Same here--did it 20+ years ago.
    Sigh.

LIB, not sure if you are looking for job idea advice here. I know you have been looking for a long time, so you are pretty knowledgeable about the possibilities and the realities. That said, one possibility is to work as an education assistant during summer school. At least in my area, there are lots of postings right now as many many many special ed students and other students do summer school. It would be something, and if you enjoyed it it could lead to more work once school started up - again, the "who you know" thing.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Fidgiegirl, I asked a couple of people I know (one in my hometown, the other in our state capitol) and no one seemed to know how to go about finding a job like this, or even if such a thing exists. But I'll try to look into it!

Here, this position is known by education assistant, program assistant, teacher's assistant, teacher's aide, and probably more titles than that! I can almost guarantee it exists where you are - special ed requirements are federal requirements, and there are some high needs kiddos out there. If you feel comfortable PMing me your location I might have further suggestions for how to search. If not, no offense taken.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Quote Originally Posted by fidgiegirl View Post
    Here, this position is known by education assistant, program assistant, teacher's assistant, teacher's aide, and probably more titles than that! I can almost guarantee it exists where you are - special ed requirements are federal requirements, and there are some high needs kiddos out there. If you feel comfortable PMing me your location I might have further suggestions for how to search. If not, no offense taken.
    In my area these positions are usually advertised on the local Board of Education site, just FYI

Well, I looked into it, and there are no openings. I'm not surprised--this is a rather depressed area, and most education jobs are filled through crony-ism.

You know, people just don't know what to say to me anymore. And what would I tell someone who's been out of work 3 years, myself? "hang in there, something will come up, etc." It's just so frustrating when you keep trying every angle you can think of, and nothing seems to lead anywhere. I do not believe the media when they keep telling us things are getting better. There's no real evidence of it--at least not here in my town. We were one of the states that had such high unemployment that they had to keep extending UC benefits.

Now they're putting restrictions on food stamps. You're only allowed to have so much money in the bank. IN other words, I can have a retirement fund and I can draw from it, but only in small increments, which I believe will lead to problems with owing taxes. I don't mean to continually b*tch but honestly? Wherever I turn I find a brick wall.

And if I say anything to my mom about it? She says, "It's all Obama's fault for bailing out the banks." Yeah, right.

Thread Information