Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook irritates me to no end

Facebook irritates me to no end

I figure, we can't have enough Facebook threads in this sub-forum, so here is another

Positives:
    - You can keep track of people from your past who you like, and wouldn't mind reconnecting with

Negatives:
    - You end up with friend requests from friends-of-friends who you either didn't like way back then, or really didn't know that well. Then you wonder, "should I get rid of the 'friend' who is linked to these who I don't want?"
    - The privacy settings are almost impossible to figure out. At some point, you just set them to the most private that you can get
    - You end up friending someone you sort of want to stay in touch with, but they post all kinds of crap, so you have to shut their postings down.
    - Some people will do all these weird facebook apps, where they guess things about you or whatever. You don't want to click on those apps, and give all your info over to the apps. These people eventually de-friend you, which is ok, I guess.

I don't know. Am I the only one who gets annoyed?

Not at all. I think there is nothing that is geared for the use ofhuge numbers oof people that won't have annoying features about it. I don't "friend" people I don't really know or don't like, or coworkers, or others who I don't want having personal information about me, so my friends list is pretty small, but realistic, I think. I know people who have over 800 friends! I don't think I even know that many people! Of the friends I do have, there are only a handful I communicate regularly with. It seems they think that I have time to just sit in front of the computer endlessly and play games, judging by all the invites I get to play one game or another. So some of it is annoying; it is still an easy way to keep in touch, and if you don't spend too long onit, then the annoyance factor is pretty limited. There are some of dsil's siblings who I have greatly restricted, because I couldn't take the political rantings anymore, and they don't want to be confused with facts. And then their friends, who I have never met, would jump into the fray as well. My life is calmer now.

Quote Originally Posted by domestic goddess View Post
    Not at all. I think there is nothing that is geared for the use ofhuge numbers oof people that won't have annoying features about it. I don't "friend" people I don't really know or don't like, or coworkers, or others who I don't want having personal information about me,
    I use a different strategy, I don't post anything that I would mind people knowing. So sure anyone and their brother can be "friends" with me (really they can, I don't reject, unless I've never even heard of the person), but intimacy on facebook - bwahahaha.

If the political postings get annoying I do block reading them. Like even when I'm generally sympathetic with a political cause, when it gets to the point that you are posting several times an hour about it day after day after day. Ack, you know you have my sympathy and keep fighting the good fight and all that but ...

Honestly *THE* reason (and the only true reason) I have an account is too keep track of things going on locally.
    Trees don't grow on money

I like it.
    My main "community" is other artist spread out across the country. We may connect a few times a years at various shows - maybe in FL, then not again till MI, and maybe in NM. but on Facebook we can keep in touch - check in and see how everyone fared in the big storm that hit such and such a show. Offer encouragement when someones trailer full of work is stolen out of a hotel parking lot. Rejoice when they win an award.

We have a fan (or "like") page for our work and connect to people who have bought work in the past and......I even make sales thru there so I'm a big fan of having a fan page. And I swear I'm not pushy. Anyone who is pushy on Facebook quickly gets the "hide posts by...." from me and I would expect anyone who gets tired of seeing our glass to hide me as well.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I like it and I also don't post anything that I wouldn't mind if it was heard around the world. I have 60 facebook friends who I care about hearing from. Some post profuse trivia and reposts so I unsubscribe from them and check in occasionally. I send very few friend requests and do not respond to friend request just because I receive them. I have the app feature disabled, don't play games, etc.. Something I've noticed....I am with friends with a former high school classmates who has over 1000 friends....only 10 or so of his 'friends' ever post on his page or respond to on his his posts. Not a problem for me.

I'm not a member. Nor of Twitter or other, similar sites.

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    I'm not a member. Nor of Twitter or other, similar sites.
    Very pure. Twitter I only follow anonymously and what I follow is various political commentators I find interesting.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Very pure. Twitter I only follow anonymously and what I follow is various political commentators I find interesting.
    I only use Twitter for following myself. I never tweet. I find it useful for keeping up with the news, various things on the Weather Channel, etc

I signed onto Facebook years ago when it was new with a faux name. I am not sorry about that.

I'm a big fan of Facebook. It allows me to keep up with a lifetime worth of friends and relatives I don't get to see otherwise, although I do tend to ignore those who insist on injecting drama into their updates.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information