Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Facebook irritates me to no end

  1. #41
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,151
    I agree with ANM that there's not much I am worried about as far as privacy and Facebook. I post stuff like funny things my kids say, craft projects I have done, photos of my new baby. Nothing earth shattering or controversial. Stuff I would voluntarily tell anyone I meet.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

    Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

  2. #42
    Senior Member HumboldtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    On the Road Again
    Posts
    174
    Oh I have such a love hate relationship with it. DH and I are only on there for our businesses, but of course we're forced to have personal pages to do so. Your business really can't exist without a presence there.

    After writing an article about FB's founder, I am incredibly unnerved by the stealth ways that every single member's privacy is continuously invaded by the FB Borg, and most people don't even seem to mind. Scary stuff.

  3. #43
    Senior Member pcooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    290
    There were some things I liked about it, but I ultimately shut down my Facebook account. I spent too much time reading things that were not relevant to my life, though it was nice to feel in touch with all those people from earlier points in my life. At times I think about signing back on, but I really never feel that I have enough time for the people and tasks that are actively in my life in this very moment. Sorry high school and college friends.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by pcooley View Post
    There were some things I liked about it, but I ultimately shut down my Facebook account. I spent too much time reading things that were not relevant to my life, though it was nice to feel in touch with all those people from earlier points in my life. At times I think about signing back on, but I really never feel that I have enough time for the people and tasks that are actively in my life in this very moment. Sorry high school and college friends.
    I've tried to get rid of Facebook but can't. I've never signed on with it, so I'm wondering how my name got on in the first place.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,400
    Quote Originally Posted by lizii View Post
    I've tried to get rid of Facebook but can't. I've never signed on with it, so I'm wondering how my name got on in the first place.
    Maybe one of your kids who knew your e-mail address signed you on thinking that you'd like to see their FB pages. I think it would be pretty easy to make up a FB page for anyone even if you don't know their e-mail address. Just open a new e-mail account in their name yourself, open a FB account in their name, and post a pic of them and viola! they are now on FB even if they don't know it. Seems like it would be a legally fraudulant - something akin to I.D. theft - but maybe not. Glad I'm not on FB although... maybe I am and don't know it. UGH!!!

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Maybe one of your kids who knew your e-mail address signed you on thinking that you'd like to see their FB pages. I think it would be pretty easy to make up a FB page for anyone even if you don't know their e-mail address. Just open a new e-mail account in their name yourself, open a FB account in their name, and post a pic of them and viola! they are now on FB even if they don't know it. Seems like it would be a legally fraudulant - something akin to I.D. theft - but maybe not. Glad I'm not on FB although... maybe I am and don't know it. UGH!!!
    Good idea, Spartana, thanks! I'll try it tonight.

  7. #47
    Wildflower
    Guest
    I deleted my Facebook account permanently 3 weeks ago. I don't miss it at all! I just really got tired of "knowing" too much about others than I was comfortable with. I keep in touch with the people I really care about otherwise, so just didn't feel the need for it anymore. It was a time waster for me as well....

  8. #48
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    29
    I have resolved never again to use Facebook to organize a group --- local or otherwise. The interfaces are horrible. If you want people to answer a question before you approve their membership, Facebook gives them no means by which to answer said question.

    And yes --- the privacy settings are both inflexible and unintuitive.

    I run a group or two active on Facebook for no reason other than one --- once you create a group, Facebook (to the best of my knowledge) doesn't anywhere give you the option of shutting it down!!! (These are the two groups through which I learned what a terrible mistake it is to do something so dumb as starting a Facebook group.)

    In deciding where to set up a group, people say I need to "go where the people are" - suggesting that I should use Facebook for that reason. Well -- "go where the people are" may be a reason to compromise on quality requirements ---- but using Facebook would mean doing away with such standards altogether.

  9. #49
    Senior Member SteveinMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,866
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieGirl View Post
    once you create a group, Facebook (to the best of my knowledge) doesn't anywhere give you the option of shutting it down!!!
    It's also incredibly difficult to close a user account, too. I suspect this behavior is one reason why Facebook can claim to have 800+ million users worldwide. The number that logs on daily or even weekly must be much smaller than that.
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    53
    I was on if for about a year in order to play the homesteading game. But I was really turned off by all the vulgar stuff posted primarily by women! Yuck! Sorry, I don't want that kind of garbage in my face.

    They do make it very difficult to close your account.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •