Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Facebook irritates me to no end

Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    I have mixed feelings. What I don't like: Everyone seems to be having such a good time! Look, I'm traveling across the country! Wow, check out this neat art exhibit I went to today! Hey, I'm just chillin' at this great restaurant with my husband! And I don't like the idea that to be a business owner, you've got to push and promote on FB, Twitter, etc.

What I do like: I have been able to connect with some people from childhood, and I keep in touch with some friends this way. Still, I wish I saw them in person--or talked to them on the phone. FB seems to be an excuse for people not to make "real" contact. Just like 20 years ago, I thought fax machines were a good excuse for people to get business documents done late.
    I have mixed feelings as well for very similar reasons. Likes: I have been able to reconnect with some childhood friends and can keep in touch with family and friends that live a distance away but it still doesn't feel like real contact to me.

Not Likes: I hate the "look at me! look at me!" aspect of it. What I really can't stand is someone posting things like "I ate a sandwich". I mean, if you gotta post, post something more substantive. I eventually blocked all the games; I don't play them but got sick of being bombarded with those notifications from my game-addicted FB friends every time they won or reached a new level. I also am sick of getting friend requests from friends of friends of friends that I don't even know and never met in my life.

DH refuses to sign up on FB in spite of his friends bugging me (on FB) that he should join. The reason is that he knows the content that some of his friends would post and doesn't want it out there associated with him. He only does LinkedIn for professional reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Life_is_Simple View Post
    I don't know. Am I the only one who gets annoyed?
    I'm not even on facebook and I get annoyed! I recently e-mailed a friend a crazy photo of me while on a trip. I'm making a terrible face and sticking out my tonque, etc... A few weeks later another friend - who is a FB friend with the person I sent the photo too - mentioned she thought my photo was funny on "my friends" facebook page. WTF???? So I looked at her page and sure 'nuff, there was my goofy mug big as day for all the wortld (and many former friends from HS) to see. So I asked my friend to take it down and she did but still... I had assumed that when I e-mailled her a private photo she would never put it anywhere else or send it to anyone else with out my permission. So now I'm learning the hard way that even though I'm not even on FB, my privacy can be violated by others. UGH! Also learned NEVER send a bad photo of yourself to others cause you never know who else will see it :-)!

I too have mixed feelings. I am under with a fake name to avoid the friend requests. Only people I really know are my friends-so very few!

I also can't stand the 'look how amazinggggggg my life is!' if they REALLY were having such a smashing good time at the restaurant or at the party would they really bother whipping out their phones to take a pic and post it on FB? I don't know, but when I am having fun the last thing I do is rush to document it-I'm having too much fun!

People who take pics of their Xmas dinners-like, really, who cares?

It's like everyone wants these proverbial pats on the back.

Good job...you did well..you don't suck...your life is grand...I am jealous

I jsut don't play that game. Most of my posts (which are infrequent) are about me thinking there is a ghost in the basement (possible?)

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    I'm not a member. Nor of Twitter or other, similar sites.
    Ditto for me too. I do have a "dummy" FB account though just so I can occasionally look at the site. But it is in no way connected to "me, my real name, e-mail, etc..(use a dummy e-mail account for it), no one knows I have it, and I've never posted anything on it or on another's FB page. Wouldn't really even know how too.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    I've gone from gung-ho, to okay to tepid to yawn to dismay with Facebook. How many baby, puppy, vacation, birthday party, anniversary shindig, or other social gathering can one bear to view? Especially if I wasn't there...wah!
    peaceful, easy feeling

Spartana--someone from my high school class "signed me up" for our reunion group on Facebook. I found that particularly annoying--I went in and removed myself immediately, as I have no intention of attending any reunions now or ever!

What happened to you is why I don't share photos of myself when I was an 18-year-old punk rocker!

Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    Spartana--someone from my high school class "signed me up" for our reunion group on Facebook. I found that particularly annoying--I went in and removed myself immediately, as I have no intention of attending any reunions now or ever!

What happened to you is why I don't share photos of myself when I was an 18-year-old punk rocker!
    All those crazy photos your employer (future employer, spouse, kids, Mom) can see if they google your name and it's connected to someone else's FB page or elsewhere. I learned my lesson - wish I had known all about how the internet works 10 or so years ago.

Someone also signed me up for some kind of class reunion thingy (Classmates.com I think) and I had no idea until I randomly googled my own, unusual, name. It was the first thing that poped up (YIKES!). I remember on the old SL boards I had a fit when, after donating to it via CC (Cyber Angels) I saw that my whole first, middle and last name as well as the city I lived in came up when I googled my name. I was pretty P.O.d about that and tried to have them remove it but they couldn't. So now, when I donate to this site or any other, I do it by check or cash and ask that my name or town not be put online anywhere. But there are datebases out there with my name that i see regularly because I play competetive sports, etc... and I use to sign up for them under my full name. But now I sign up under my initials rather than use my whole name. Can't stop people from putting up photos from activities though - or listing my name. It's all a big pet peeve of mine but I realize there isn't anything I can do about it except hide under a rock for the rest of my life.

I have an old friend from whom I received an invitation to join as his face book friend. I sent him an email and told I did not want to join facebook, but would really enjoy exchanging emails and photos occasionally and staying in touch that way. I never got a response, so I guess that's how much our friendship is worth. We still exchange Christmas greetings.

Classmates--that website was the first one to tip me off that once you are signed on with one, it's nigh impossible to get off (hence my caution with MySpace and later Facebook.) So while I couldn't ever figure out how to remove my name from the Classmates site it DID allow me to change my name so I did--to that of a well known Hollywood hot babe. ha ha. Once every few years I get unsolicited email from a fan.

I do not do facebook or twitter or...
    I did for about 6 months "follow" the account of my youngest, most obnoxious child.
    The minutia..the teenage angst...zzzzzz
    I just couldn't stand it any longer.
    If he is bullying someone, I guess I will discover it when I am asked to post bail.
    author of A Holy Errand

Thread Information