Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Facebook irritates me to no end

Quote Originally Posted by Fawn View Post
    I do not do facebook or twitter or...
    I did for about 6 months "follow" the account of my youngest, most obnoxious child.
    The minutia..the teenage angst...zzzzzz
    I just couldn't stand it any longer.
    If he is bullying someone, I guess I will discover it when I am asked to post bail.
    Tee hee hee . . .
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I have an old friend from whom I received an invitation to join as his face book friend. I sent him an email and told I did not want to join facebook, but would really enjoy exchanging emails and photos occasionally and staying in touch that way. I never got a response, so I guess that's how much our friendship is worth. We still exchange Christmas greetings.
    Here's a variation on that theme: my DH is not on Facebook but one of his old friends "found" me and sent me an email via FB almost demanding that I should get DH to join. I replied DH was not going to join FB but was on LinkedIn (this friend is a professional contact as well) or he could email DH directly and gave him the email address. All to DH's knowledge of course. Nothing came of it. It's like if someone decides you ought to be on FB, and you aren't (and aren't going to change), you are seriously inconvenicing them. Like it's so darn tough to send a separate email. Oh well. Guess if it's that inconvenient, than your friendship can't mean much.

The only reason that I go to FB is to check on my kids. You would think they would catch on..............
    Oh, I play Bejeweled against my DH.
    I may not run with the wind in my hair, but I do get winded.

I just got over 100 happy birthday wishes on FB... Many a heartfelt message. They've been trickling in all day, and I've loved it.

Well Happy Birthday, Redfox! That is a nice thing about FB.

There was a Pot-Shot by the illustrator Ashleigh Brilliant that read something like, "Isn't there some cheap and easy way I can show you how much you mean to me?"

That's how Facebook makes me feel. I'm not worth a birthday card or even a birthday TEXT, but if my special day is shoved into someone's face, and it's as simple as a click-and-send to acknowledge me, well, I'm worth that. It's amusing.

FB is good for me to see what people are up to, and for my work support group (private group) it's excellent as we're spread all over the world, but as for genuine, heartfelt expressions of caring.....it's better than nothing, but only marginally better.

Happy Birthday, Redfox --- if I knew you i.r.l., I'd send you a birthday card

Pug: I definitely still send cards to people I know in person. FB is OK as a supplement for human interaction, but it's certainly not a substitute for it.

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    I just got over 100 happy birthday wishes on FB... Many a heartfelt message. They've been trickling in all day, and I've loved it.
    Well, happy birthday! How fun to get so many wishes on FB.

Belated birthday wishes redfox! And many more.....

Facebook terrifies me. The loss of privacy, the feeling that too many people would know too much about too many facets of my life.....terrifying. I cannot understand the young (and older ones too, I guess) people who "put it all out there", their daily thoughts and doings and photos.....I guess, being my introverted and private self, I am terrified of the wider world intruding into my little world.

I've missed out on things I'd like to see/be involved in, with my refusal to get onto FB. Photos and local news and such. People tell me "you don't have to post, you just have to join!". No thank you. I'll continue being out of the loop on the local doings (much of which seems to be just local gossip anyway, as far as I can tell), and keep my privacy. I don't trust FB to keep ANY of my personal information private.

It depends on who you are afraid of knowing stuff. I mean people who post about their sex life and stuff on facebook are just weird - sorry but that's just weird

But if you post other stuff, who are you afraid of knowing? The government? Sigh, the @#$^ government is going to end up knowing anyway what with trying to get the rights to get all private information without a warrent (the current CISPA bill) and wanting to put backdoors in everything including your email. Senators already emailed, one already called, tired of this fight .... Encryption and even then how long will that work ...

Future or present employers? Yea I'd be careful what is posted on facebook that could influence that. Don't post about work, about your sex life, about using any recreational substances even legal ones if such was ever the case, coplaints about current or prior jobs or work under anything tracable with a simple google search to your real name. In a decade or so when everyone knows everything including all your emails due to all the backdoors etc. (and it probably won't end up restricted to govertment afterall) then this is lost anyway. But for NOW what is an employer really going to do? A google search on facebook for what is tracable. Just don't post garbage you would be scared of an employer finding on facebook.

Marketers? I honestly don't give a darn what marketers know really. I mean I'd rather they not, but the worst they can do is try to sell me stuff, and I'm a brick wall. I buy stuff sometimes of course, but I'm not tempted by sales pitches (free samples at the grocery sometimes work though ). I can't be sold too very easily, in fact they are really picking the wrong person to try to sell to.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information