Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Great Big Internet Addiction

Quote Originally Posted by CeciliaW View Post
    ...It's like random people standing in the street and shouting out random sentences or a segment of a thought and then you can't find anyway to respond or to find out what the rest of the thought might have been..."
    That's funny, that's how I think of it too. Twitter users remind me of the point character in Flatland who sings out all the time, he's the only person in his universe. There are multi million users who Tweet their constant doings but no one is listening because the listeners are Tweeting their own constant doings.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    You're really hitting it dead on--it seems, all this constant texting, tweeting, attention to the personal electronic device to be the Ultimate Cult of Me...forget about you...just let me continue my very important electronic "Social Media" connectivity to anyone else but you---while I ignore the society of you. It IS rude, gosh darn it!
    peaceful, easy feeling

I find being online too much really toxic. It turns me into something sub-human, disconnected from the Earth, disconnected from compassion.

So although I have a cell phone on which I can check email (I'm self-employed) I refuse to buy an iPhone, iPad, GPS, Nook, Kindle, or any more gadgetry that allows me to be disconnected from real natural life and learning...we all have different views on just what that means, so ymmv. I think people who walk around with bluetooth devices clipped on their ears (when walking down the street, grocery shopping, etc.) to be the most ludicrous of all. It's "somebody important might call me and I can't be bothered to take my phone out of my pocket when they do." My goofy husband once walked around the grocery store with a baby carrot stuck in his ear, until I saw it and laughed so hard I thought I'd choke.

This is one of two forum-type sites I visit. I check in with Facebook about once a week, if that. I blog occasionally, and I do like receiving and sending emails, but like ANM, my emails are like real letters with complete words, capitalization in the right places, and even a salutation

To me, addiction to technology, gadgets, and the immediacy of online life is something I am careful to avoid. I often "unplug" just to remember what it's like to live in the moment, talk to real people, and lay in the grass making shapes out of passing clouds.

I will admit I"m addicted, and it's been a problem for me. It's caused arguments among me and family members. It may have contributed to my losing my last job. The amount of time my co workers spend online at work is beginning to annoy me--because it's distracting them from doing their work. Heck, it distracts ME.

I have a blog, but I find I don't really want to keep up with it. But I feel like I *should*, somehow. "Everybody's doin' it, doin' it." I do like taking art classes online...but I find the more I stay away from FB, the happier I am. I am experiencing this hollow, empty feeling after a long internet session.

I do like this forum, though, I admit!

Quote Originally Posted by CeciliaW View Post
    The other one I see a lot is two or more people sitting in a booth at a restaurant and everyone is on a device. Not even looking at each other.
    A couple of my kids started doing this. Drove me nuts. I finally told them they could do whatever they wanted if they were buying dinner, but if I'm buying the devises stay in the car. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by puglogic View Post
    I find being online too much really toxic. It turns me into something sub-human, disconnected from the Earth, disconnected from compassion.

So although I have a cell phone on which I can check email (I'm self-employed) I refuse to buy an iPhone, iPad, GPS, Nook, Kindle, or any more gadgetry that allows me to be disconnected from real natural life and learning...we all have different views on just what that means, so ymmv. I think people who walk around with bluetooth devices clipped on their ears (when walking down the street, grocery shopping, etc.) to be the most ludicrous of all. It's "somebody important might call me and I can't be bothered to take my phone out of my pocket when they do." My goofy husband once walked around the grocery store with a baby carrot stuck in his ear, until I saw it and laughed so hard I thought I'd choke.

This is one of two forum-type sites I visit. I check in with Facebook about once a week, if that. I blog occasionally, and I do like receiving and sending emails, but like ANM, my emails are like real letters with complete words, capitalization in the right places, and even a salutation

To me, addiction to technology, gadgets, and the immediacy of online life is something I am careful to avoid. I often "unplug" just to remember what it's like to live in the moment, talk to real people, and lay in the grass making shapes out of passing clouds.
    I love what you said. I suspect you'll appreciate this quote:

“In the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine...we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry and playthings that divert our attention from the sheer idiocy of the charade. The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked on the shelves of patience. Before we know it the tomb is sealed...When you consider the beauty there is in the world, the rapture that can be known, the honest relationships, the excitement and exaltation there is for the taking...the real things to look at and feel and read...Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. --Sterling Hayden
    peaceful, easy feeling

Quote Originally Posted by puglogic View Post

This is me! Unplugged 90% of the time - or more - and loving it I don't have internet access at home (am using my laptop in the public library now), don't do social media, don't have a smart phone, etc... I've found my life is more active - physically and emotionally - when I'm not spending much time online.

Spartana, you're my personal hero! I'm attempting to unplug more, too..just got back from a beautiful sunset bike ride...
    peaceful, easy feeling

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Spartana, you're my personal hero! I'm attempting to unplug more, too..just got back from a beautiful sunset bike ride...
    It's hard to do for sure. Even now for instance, I was just going to stop in the library for an hour to look up some stuff and check in with this site and it's hours later!! How the heck did that happen? I'm good about not logging on even when I had internet access at home, but when I did log on for just a quickie, the next thing I knew it was hours later, my butt was sore from sitting and i had forgotten to feed the critters. So, since I couldn't seem to break that habit, I just decided to set aside a few days a week to go online but only AFTER I've done my run or whatever I had scheduled for that day - and never on weekends unless it's raining. So now I generally go to the park for a run in the morning and stop at my local library (which is in the park) for an hour or two a few days a week. The less I go online, the less I seem to want to. But it is fun!

Unplugging is starting to sound very very good...

Thread Information