Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel Websites?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Thanks for the idea Lizii. I also think I would like to travel with a companion, male or female, in most of the Islamic countries although I know several women who have gone alone and really had no problems. I've never been on a group tour thing but I also think that would be a good way to travel to many Islamic countries. Someone there to help you with the social issues rather then having to deal with it alone as a single woman. Knowing me, I'd probably do something wrong and offensive :-)!

I will say that so far I am loving this "leave the dog at home and just hop on a plane and go" thing. Might not feel the same once I'm actually ON a plane but it does seem hassle free compared to car travel with the dog. When I do that I have to bring so much stuff - camping gear, etc.. - and I always having to make plans about where I can and can't go with the dog. Not too many places you can take a dog into, or things you can do with a dog adventure-wise, and it's often too hot to leave them in the car. It very limiting. But now I'm ust taking a few clothes in a small knapsack - no cosmetics, no lotions, or shampoos etc... will just pick up a travel sized bottle when I need it. I already looked up a bunch of different day trips with outfitters for biking, hiking, climbing and kayaking/rafting, so am all set to go and do that stuff - as well as just cruise around and see the sites - and I'll actually be able to go into a store, museum, restaurant or bar for the first time in years because I won't have dogs with me. YAY (although I'll miss the little critter). I'm going south (BRyce, Zion, Esalante, Park City, etc...) on this trip but I'm thinking of extending the trip an extra week or two and also going north to the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier Nat Parks. Again, can do stuff the that I can't do with the dog as most aren't allowed on hiking trails in any Nat park or state park.
    My time through Morocco was on my first bus trip. We were met by a local person at the various towns we saw, who explained to us about their customs so we didn't offend people living there.

An excellent trip, but I'd never go back there.

This was an excellent way to learn so much about their food, homes, customs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lizii View Post
    My time through Morocco was on my first bus trip. We were met by a local person at the various towns we saw, who explained to us about their customs so we didn't offend people living there.

An excellent trip, but I'd never go back there.

This was an excellent way to learn so much about their food, homes, customs, etc.
    My first trip to Italy was absolutely wonderful. I went with an Italian companion who was born and raised in Northern Italy, otherwise I'd have been unable to read directions, etc. He was born and raised in Venice, so was able to explain about their customs, etc.

We were fortunate to stay in one of his cousins' home where I found out how delicious their food is. I loved to go into their Catholic churches to see the various artists' paintings and statues in every one of them, including Rembrandt, Michelangelo's paintings in the Sistine chapel were enchanting.

We took a trip to Cattolica, on the shore of the Adriatic, where we stayed a week for only $30 for both of us, including the room and 3 meals every day. The beaches there were huge and very warm in the summer. We rented two lounge chairs to sun ourselves in the mornings and after lunch we went back to find that our lounges had been moved to give us more sunshine. It was truly a lovely, happy vacation.

I had recently become interested in the Rennaisance period, so it was a huge thrill to see the original art.

A new site I really like, if you are planning to rent a car is called autoslash.com You put in your rental dates and class of car you want, the companies you want to consider...accept the first price, then it searches all the time for better deals. You can cancel any time if you find a better deal. At first I was skeptical, the prices I got for my Grand Canyon trip were high, but it has sent me lower prices about 5 times and I am down to a price much lower than I could find anywhere. So far, so good.

We would love to do road trips but are bound by time constraints, so we fly for any travel of distance. For the past few years I have occasionally signed up for really really really good frequent flyer deals for credit cards. I spend the required amount on things I normally would buy (no extra spending to achieve the miles) and then after the miles are deposited in my account I cancel the card. I haven't paid for a flight in since 2008. This blog is good - http://millionmilesecrets.com/ and also the forums at flyertalk.com but they can be intimidating. You can also google "travel hacking" to find numerous sites about strategies like that.

One thing I do hate about flying is that you can't camp or even bring much stuff with you to help make life more inexpensive...when we drive we can pack a good cooler, but when flying I have a little fold down one that is not nearly as good. Also, I have a small tent, but its just not practical to do sleeping bags, etc on a plane if you also have to pack any clothes of substance...I haven't found a good way yet anyway, especially with all the extra baggage costs. When I went out west a couple years ago we brought sleeping bags when we stayed in Forest Service cabins. It was unseasonably cold and we had to pack lots of layers...we were somehow able to do it with one checked bag and two carry ons. We stayed 9 days I think and did laundry half way through because most of the time we were hiking so stuff got yucky. DH and I aren't sure if we would do that again...it was a lot of lugging around stuff. Maybe buy a couple of cheap sleeping bags at the destination?

Most recent trip we camped for two days at a place that had everything for you - tents, sleeping bags, cots...it was nice not to have to deal with that!

I also love road scholar (formerly elderhostel). Everything from sit all day to active beyond belief trips. Each trip is very well documented on their website. We have taken 5 trips and loved them all. The participants tend to be well traveled and well educated.

I'm thinking that doing both, one type one time and the other type another time, is how I see my future. Sometimes it is nice to drive and camp back in remote places, sometimes the places I want to get to are far enough away I want to fly there and rent a vehicle. Hint: Central America, specifically Honduras, can be a fun place to fly to, especially if you know someone who lives there...
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmoss View Post
    I'm thinking that doing both, one type one time and the other type another time, is how I see my future. Sometimes it is nice to drive and camp back in remote places, sometimes the places I want to get to are far enough away I want to fly there and rent a vehicle. Hint: Central America, specifically Honduras, can be a fun place to fly to, especially if you know someone who lives there...
    I DO know a girl who has a 2 bedroom place in Honduras - maybe she'll let me visit someday :-)!!! I think I'll probably take your suggestion and do both types of trips - long term camping road trips and short flying, car rental. motel trips. I really did miss having my stuff with me (even the dog) when flying, and I didn't like being tied to a schedule of when I had to return. Hated that part of it!! The whole reason I retired early was so I could stay somewhere as long as I wanted and not have to adhere to a schedule. Have to be in Colorado mid June for a friends wedding and originally thought I'd fly again and rent a car for a couple of weeks, but now I'm leaning more towards just doing a long road trip there, with the pup, after Memorial Day and just going "wherever" after the wedding and staying gone as long as I want. Hmmm.. maybe I can DRIVE down to Honduras? Loose Chickens did that (as well as drove and lived in their camper van all over South America). That would be an adventure!!

Lizii - I really enjoyed reading about your travels in Europe. I love Europe and lived in Spain and Germany for awhile. Am hoping to go back there again someday and stay as long as I want to see "everything" once my little dog is gone so I can travel grundgy backpacker style anbd stay at hostels (I like to travel that way). Or if I can get my sister to watch the dog for a few months I might be able to go this fall.

Also, thanks for the tips everyone!!

Thread Information