Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Websites?

Travel Websites?

Usually a a couple of times a year (spring and fall) I take a long road trip with my dog. But with gas prices so high (still around $4.25 here in SoCal) and my truck being a big gas guzzler (approx. 15-20 mpg), I've been thinking that maybe I should just leave the dog with my sister and take a couple of shorter trips (maybe 2 trips - one in spring and another in fall - of approx. 3 weeks to a month each) by plane instead. Wondering if maybe the cost to fly R/T, stay in budget motels and rent a compact car would be cheaper than a road trip. Or maybe doing some of those "adventure" trips that allow you to hike, bike, kayak, etc.. and are all inclusive. I haven't taken a packaged adventure travel trip like that ever, and haven't even taken a plane trip in over a decade and wondered what websites are the best to look up things like that. Any cheap trips out there that would be less - or the same - as say a camping road trip? Any suggestions for websites, budget adventure trips, or places to go and things to do? I like physically active stuff but enjoy a bit of budget motel luxury at the end of the day - i.e. a hot shower and a cold beer!. Thanks!!

ETA: There was a road trip thread here somewhere that I didn't get a chance to read and can't find it now. Anyone know where it's at?

Also, If it was you, assuming it cost the same and you had the time, would you rather do a long road trip, with mostly tent camping combined with the occasional Motel 6, for 2 months at a time or would you rather do a shorter trip somewhere (maybe more exotic) for 3 weeks or so by plane and stay in (budget) motels?
    Last edited by Spartana; 4-27-12 at 1:15pm.

Well you guys aren't any help But I did find a cheap RT flight from SoCal to SLC ($150 R/T!!) as well as a very cheap rental car so will be going there on Sunday to tour around southern and western Utah for 3 weeks (my little rat dog is staying with my sister). Plan to just bring a small carry on backpack and rent a MT bike while there. Stay at budget motels, hostels or ski dorms (all which are low cost this time of year). Anyways, it's not a long road trip (which I love!) but with gas prices as they are it's a compromise. I wonder how many other people are changing their travel or vacation plans because of fuel prices? Probably lots!

Also found several other low cost flights to various places like to Seattle ($150 RT). Maybe I'll go there next... when it stops raining

HI Spartana,
    I just saw this thread. For me it would be the shorter trips and the motels. This body can't manage the camping anymore.

One thing I've wished for is to have Rick Steves do trips around the US like he does around Europe. I think he's just started this with a coast to coast road trip. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Have a great time on your adventure!

Another option is the re-branded Elderhostel, now called Road Scholar. There are no age minimums, and they rate the trips by exertion level so if you want to be around active people like yourself, you can select an active trip. There are hiking, biking, kayaking trips that I've seen. I've not gone on any, but I've hiked with people who have and they thought they were a decent value. Not top of the line hotels, but clean and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by CeciliaW View Post
    HI Spartana,
    I just saw this thread. For me it would be the shorter trips and the motels. This body can't manage the camping anymore.

One thing I've wished for is to have Rick Steves do trips around the US like he does around Europe. I think he's just started this with a coast to coast road trip. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Have a great time on your adventure!
    Thanks. I figure I'll try it and if I don't like it - too expensive, too rushed - then I can always go back to doing long road trips. But if I do that I may give up the truck and get a compact car instead. These high gas prices are killing me! Costs me around $55 to go 200 - 250 miles UGH! Plus if I fly I can go to some more exotic places that I can't when I'm on a road trip with my dog. I don't think I'd want to leave her for longer then 2 - 3 weeks at a time but I may be open to leaving her longer if it's OK with my sister. I'm sure there are lots of websites that have discount package deals but I have no idea what they are.

I'll also check out the elderhostel trips Herbgeek. Your post reminded me that hostels in general often have adventure type trips (backpacking, biking, etc...) as does the Sierra Club so will check them out.

Also, is there a fee to change return airline tickets if you wanted to extend your trip? If so, how much does it usually cost?
    Last edited by Spartana; 4-27-12 at 4:40pm.

Another thing that just occured to me, there are websites for solo travelers and for women travelers. There are many places I'm interested in seeing but going by myself wouldn't be wise.

I do travel solo quite a bit, but I've often thought it would be nice to have someone else who was interested along for the ride. The thing is, I know I'm 'particular' about things, so finding someone else who was 'particular' in a complimentary way could be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by CeciliaW View Post
    Another thing that just occured to me, there are websites for solo travelers and for women travelers. There are many places I'm interested in seeing but going by myself wouldn't be wise.

I do travel solo quite a bit, but I've often thought it would be nice to have someone else who was interested along for the ride. The thing is, I know I'm 'particular' about things, so finding someone else who was 'particular' in a complimentary way could be a challenge.
    Me too ;-)! I also see that alot of the package type trips - even the adventure ones where you are camping - often have a single suppilment which is almost double the price. Those seem to be fairly common and a good reason to find a travel companion even if, like me, you prefer to go solo.

Wilderness Inquiry, out of Minneapolis, does adventure trips. Many are local to MN/WI, but some are further afield.

I have historically liked extended travel better, but am liking shorter trips more now. Maybe it's because we enjoy puttering around the house so much . . . who knows!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Me too ;-)! I also see that alot of the package type trips - even the adventure ones where you are camping - often have a single suppilment which is almost double the price. Those seem to be fairly common and a good reason to find a travel companion even if, like me, you prefer to go solo.
    I have avoided paying the single traveller suppliment by agreeing to share with another woman. I was lucky enough to share with a woman who I enjoyed very much. We had lots of fun together travelling through Spain, Morocco and Portugal. We stayed in touch for a couple of years through writing letters back and forth.

Morocco was the only time I'd been to an Islamic country...it was a huge cultural shock for me to see how poor it was, yet the wealthy people lived in luxury. I hated seeing how women were treated by men. Their typical clothing covering their face and bodies made me wonder how hot they must be.

Quote Originally Posted by lizii View Post
    I have avoided paying the single traveller suppliment by agreeing to share with another woman. I was lucky enough to share with a woman who I enjoyed very much. We had lots of fun together travelling through Spain, Morocco and Portugal. We stayed in touch for a couple of years through writing letters back and forth.

Morocco was the only time I'd been to an Islamic country...it was a huge cultural shock for me to see how poor it was, yet the wealthy people lived in luxury. I hated seeing how women were treated by men. Their typical clothing covering their face and bodies made me wonder how hot they must be.
    Thanks for the idea Lizii. I also think I would like to travel with a companion, male or female, in most of the Islamic countries although I know several women who have gone alone and really had no problems. I've never been on a group tour thing but I also think that would be a good way to travel to many Islamic countries. Someone there to help you with the social issues rather then having to deal with it alone as a single woman. Knowing me, I'd probably do something wrong and offensive :-)!

I will say that so far I am loving this "leave the dog at home and just hop on a plane and go" thing. Might not feel the same once I'm actually ON a plane but it does seem hassle free compared to car travel with the dog. When I do that I have to bring so much stuff - camping gear, etc.. - and I always having to make plans about where I can and can't go with the dog. Not too many places you can take a dog into, or things you can do with a dog adventure-wise, and it's often too hot to leave them in the car. It very limiting. But now I'm ust taking a few clothes in a small knapsack - no cosmetics, no lotions, or shampoos etc... will just pick up a travel sized bottle when I need it. I already looked up a bunch of different day trips with outfitters for biking, hiking, climbing and kayaking/rafting, so am all set to go and do that stuff - as well as just cruise around and see the sites - and I'll actually be able to go into a store, museum, restaurant or bar for the first time in years because I won't have dogs with me. YAY (although I'll miss the little critter). I'm going south (BRyce, Zion, Esalante, Park City, etc...) on this trip but I'm thinking of extending the trip an extra week or two and also going north to the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier Nat Parks. Again, can do stuff the that I can't do with the dog as most aren't allowed on hiking trails in any Nat park or state park.
    Last edited by Spartana; 4-28-12 at 3:00pm.

Thread Information