Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The TV Dilemna

The TV Dilemna

DH and I are contemplating cancelling our cable TV entirely and just going with DVDs and VHS. This isn't because we don't like TV or think it's evil.....finances are just really tight right now and cancelling all programming will save us $100.00 a month. We'll keep high speed internet, which is $57 a month. Damn Charter and their high prices.

We could eventually invest in a digital converter box so we could at least get the local channels and PBS for free, but that's another expense we can't justify right now.

I know we need the money. I *think* I can make the sacrifice, but it's something I'm really struggling with right now. I get panicky just thinking about going without my History Channel, Planet Green and TCM. We don't have a laptop or wireless service so watching stuff online would require sitting at the office desk, which is fine for short stuff but not exactly conducive for 2 people to relax together in the evening watching something.

On the pro side I would have more time for reading, knitting and cooking. Intellectually I know not having cable could be a good thing, but emotionally I'm freaking out. I know it wouldn't be a permanent thing, we could re-subscribe when we're more financially stable.

Has anyone else struggled with this?

we have no cable and hardly ever rent dvds. We get everything from the library and we have been doing that for years.

I've often thought of giving up cable because of the expense, but it's something I've not managed to come close to doing yet. I know 2 households that have, and they do well enough. But they all enjoy reading, and I don't. They also supplement and watch some live sports, for example, on the computer. (espn3, etc). There are also audio books to help with the transition.

As to internet, is there a local dsl service you can get that would cost much less? Or a slower speed for the cable service? I believe we have a choice of speed and cost here with Cox.

If getting rid of cable is something you need to do for your financial benefit, you'll make it. There probably will be some withdrawal as you adjust. I totally understand the turmoil.

We have not had cable for many years. We have rabbit ears, (and the converter box), so we get local stations and several PBS stations which is about all we would ever watch anyway. I agree wtih Kally, the library is a good place to get movies, episodes of old tv shows and it doesn't cost a penny. If you have high speed internet you can also watch some things on line.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

We haven't had TV, cable, or satellite for ~12 years now, relying instead on DVD rentals, Netflix streaming, and other Internet streaming. It hasn't killed anyone, and there seem to be plenty of other things to do to relax, entertain, and educate.

For the price of a couple of months of cable or less, you could invest in a decent-sized flat-panel monitor/TV. Hook it up to your computer and enjoy your videos that way.

We cut ours off for about 3 years, and we rarely missed it. We used Netflix for movies and any TV series that interested us. We cut it back on about a year ago, and it was fun for a while, but I'm already contemplating cutting it back off when the contract runs out.

I wouldn't mind cutting it off but my youngest is MAD for football. And DH does like his programs. I'm hoping that in a couple of years the online options will be broad enough that DH will be ok with just that.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Technologically and financially speaking, there are lots of options: broadcast only cable (which they legally have to offer, but not advertise, so ask--roughly $15/month), a lot of different devices let you stream to your TV--Roku boxes (which are very inexpensive, esp now that they have fancier versions...all you need is the basic one), Blu-Ray players, Wii, Xbox, newer TVs, etc-- or save up for a better monitor as suggested above.

If you are really do want to get rid of cable entirely and just need help making the leap psychologically, why not just commit mentally to 1-2 months off? It's not like the cable company won't take you back if you decide you really hate being without cable. Then at the end of your time, sit down and evaluate how it's going--chances are excellent that by then you'll have gotten used to the new reality and that $1200/year savings will seem worth it.

Argh, we did it. Last night. Called and canceled. *deep breath* lol! DH is fine with it - he's much more self disciplined than I am. There are shows he'll miss but he'll cope better. At I asked him if he was ready to support me when I started pouting and whining and he gave me his "put your big girl panties on and suck it up" glare, ha!

As to other options people have suggested, I know they're out there but don't want to have to buy any additional equipment (blue-ray, x-box, etc) just to watch TV. We *might* spring for a VCR/DVD combo unit so we can watch videos while on the treadmill in the basement, but beyond that any major expenses are not justifiable right now. I'm optimistic I can do this, but when the "honeymoon" period is over I may need backup!

Thread Information