Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you use natural body care products?

[QUOTE
    I am curious about your "recipe" for this deodo.[/QUOTE]

Here it is! Similar to a lot of recipes out there. In a small bowl, spread out 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (it's usually solid). In a 1/4 cup, fill 1/3 with baking soda and 2/3 with cornstarch. Add to the coconut oil and mash and mash and mash some more with a fork. It will eventually become whipped like mashed potatoes. I usually add about 6 drops of an essential oil at this point (geranium is my favorite). When finished it will fill a 2oz container.

To use, scoop out a bit and stick a blob under your arm and lower your arm for a few seconds. It will soften enough to spread. I use more cornstarch than baking soda because it was a bit too abrasive with equal amounts. This stuff has worked so well for me for almost a year now. On a really hot day when I'm reallty sweaty, I will be a bit smelly but much less than I would with antiperspirant or other natural deodorants. It also washes away easily, unlike waterproof antiperspirant.

Hmm, why didn't the quote thingy work??

Thanks, it seems like the oil would migrate to one's clothing though. Guess I will give it a try.

Did recently see that Dr. Bronner's came out with coconut oil. On FB another organization gave 10 things you can
    Do with coconut oil. One of tem said it was antibacterial so I can see
    How it would stop body odor.

Watergoddess mentioned she started using it to help with acne, I am going to
    Give it try also.

How does it fare as a deodorant with the oil and the clothing?

I am resistant to new consumer things and for me, anything that uses the term "body" in its description is newfangled. "Body wash" and "body this" and "body that" are suspect, ha ha.

I use soap, toothpaste, shampoo, and stick store-brand deodorant. The only thing I 'm even a bit picky about is lotion and I much prefer Vaseline Intensive care but will use anything that's free, and since my neighbor is getting rid of her Avon products for free, I am using them but don't especially like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussiemussies View Post
    Did recently see that Dr. Bronner's came out with coconut oil. On FB another organization gave 10 things you can
    Do with coconut oil. One of tem said it was antibacterial so I can see
    How it would stop body odor.

Watergoddess mentioned she started using it to help with acne, I am going to
    Give it try also.

How does it fare as a deodorant with the oil and the clothing?
    I haven't noticed oil stains on my clothes. My work clothes are black, and I have had white marks on my shirts; these I easily remove with a damp sponge. In the past I've had more clothes ruined by antiperspirant than with this concoction.

The last time I used straight coconut oil as a nightime face moisturizer, I made an oily stain on my pillowcase that has never washed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    We use Kiss my Face olive oil soap. For other products, we avoid parabens and many other chemicals. We don't use many products in general -- avoidance is our biggest means of limiting chemical exposure. I am particularly cautious about sunscreen since that is used over a large area and not immediately rinsed off.
    A book called Happy-Go-Local gives some great info about sunscreen chemicals and alternatives. Sunscreen is a real issue for me, as I'm extremely sensitive to many chemicals (neurological/respiratory issues), including fragrances, but have a family history/skin type with a susceptibility to melanoma. I've been exploring home recipes for a number of natural beauty products. I've used "rock crystal" deodorant successfully for many years - works better for me than regularly deodorant ever did, and no worries about either chemical sensitivity or skin rash. Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    [QUOTE
    I am curious about your "recipe" for this deodo.
    Hmm, why didn't the quote thingy work??[/QUOTE]

The quote thingy didn't work because the first tag is missing its end bracket: should be "[QUOTE]", but ended up being "[QUOTE" instead. Syntax is a slippery little devil!

Helen

Go to EWG, Environmental Working Group, and they will give you a list of sunscreens, personal care products rated safe to not.

Herbgeek and others... very interested as to where you find the recipes to make natural lotions and sunscreens!!! Thanks.
    Herb Companion has a bunch of stuff on line. Storey Publishing has a number of good books, I like Herbal Body Care. And I do some experimentation on recipes I find to make them simpler and use fewer exotic ingredients (exotic being those I only use for one recipe, I do have "exotic" ingredients that I can use in multiple places). A basic salve is just oil and wax, varying the proportions. You can infuse herbs into the oil for particular properties, or you can add essential oils or both. Lotions are the same with water added, but I always have a problem with the water separating out, so I don't make them much- and having water in them means they don't last as long and are subject to more bacterial growth. Lip balm is just a basic salve with more wax added for firmness. If you're interesting in trying something out, Brambleberry has some fun kits. I started with the lipbalm kit, they give you everything you need to make 10 or so.

I haave found that the zinc oxide cream for diaper rash is a perfect deodorant for me for the past two years but only the tiniest dab. My first jar is only half used so far.
    Cetaphil is my wash, moisturizer and sunblock. My skin looks great and sometimes I wonder if mixing different items is a problem? I am going to try some of the recipes for lip gloss mentioned.

Thread Information