Thread: How to feed mourning doves...

Smile How to feed mourning doves...

I just enjoy mourning doves and they eat seeds from the ground. I would sprinkle some near the bird feeder for them but I am afraid I'll attract rodents this way. Any suggestions? tIA!

No suggestions. We have a lot of the doves as well and then never visit the feeders or what drops below. We have a serious 'tree rat' problem and have taken to spraying the poles the feeders are on with PAM. Its fun to see them slip/slide and frustrated when they can't get to the feeder.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Doves are ground feeders. Sorry, nothing you can do except put the seed on the ground. I find they like cracked corn too.

We have a lot of Mourning Doves and they eat the Apple Blossom bird feed mix that falls from the feeders. I've not notice any rodent problems, squirrels but no rodents. I love to sit in the quiet of the morning and listen to the Mourning Doves talk.

"tree rat" = squirrel

For those who might no know the name you call them when you cuss at them.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I don't have problems with the squirrels......you just have to outsmart them. haha
    When I used to feed the birds, I had a raccoon baffle on the birdfeeder pole, and they couldn't get to it.
    But you have to make sure there aren't any tree limbs close by.

Tussiemussies.........just don't put out too much seed at a time. Be sure its not enough to make it through the night.

I don't see squirrels as a problem. We have squirrel feeders placed away from the bird feeders but I do chuckle when a squirrel works the top off of a bird feeder and nearly gets stuck in the feeder. Squirrels have to eat too and their antics are entertaining.

You can use a small table as a bird table - I have one and put a big plant saucer on it with seed and bread crumbs. The mourning doves really like it. They are such beautiful creatures.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

The doves have always been part of the cleanup crew under our feeders, so we don't specifically put down food for them, but they get plenty to eat.

Thread Information