Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you not buy new?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What would you not buy new?

I am trying to remember if we had a thread like this recently, but didn't find it . . . if I'm wrong, let me know!

I was hauling our suitcases up to the attic and thinking, ah, this is something I would very very very likely NOT buy new. They get beat up, wrecked, ripped in air travel . . . .

I had the word "never" in the thread title, but that's too absolute. Of course there always may be a situation where I'd change my mind. What if I started traveling for a job and needed the exact perfect suitcase to preserve my sanity? But most likely 99% of the time, I'd just try to get a used one.

Same with our next vehicles, I hope.

Wish I could say it with clothes, but I buy new ones with regularity. Not over the top, but I do buy new clothing, and sometimes used, too.

What about you?
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

My work can be pretty messy and hard on clothes so it makes no sense for me to buy a new shirt at the store when I can get one for $1.99 at the local thrift store, wear it till I ruin it, move it to the rag bag, and then finally out!

For the last 25 years all of our cars have been second or third hand, but I am blessed with a partner who is handy. I Want a Kia Soul but I can wait another 5-10 years.

I would never buy a car new. I would never buy a new house either, though I might build one. I've never once bought a new pair of pants, or a t-shirt. I do buy shoes, socks and underwear new.
    My blog where I talk about everything that I try to do.

I think I can probably say that I will never buy luggage new or used, although I did once (about 20 years ago) buy a garment bag at the SA for about $3.00 that I recently re-donated. Luggage seems to come our way free of charge. Maybe The Universe thinks we should take more vacations!
    We don't have much in the way of thrift store resources in our immediate vicinity, so most of what we buy, we do buy new.
    In recent years, I've learned to check with Mom before I buy anything because she often has one of whatever it is I need that she isn't using. Win-win, because it helps her declutter too, and if she needs it back, I'm only a mile away

ETA: Welcome back, Student of Ecology!

I'll buy almost anything used -- except socks, underwear, and toiletries. I'm also a bit leery of, say, used toasters at the thrift store -- I want to know the history and not that someone dropped it off because it kept tripping the circuit breaker or such. And, in the age of bedbugs, I'm more careful about buying upholstered furniture -- again, I want the history if I can get it. Otherwise, there's almost nothing I have to buy new.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

The only thing I don't buy new is antiques or paintings!
    I'm not good with the 'previously owned' idea...

We never buy new lawn mowers. We have mowed (mown?) our lawn for 35 years and we have paid less than $200 total to do it. Our first lawn mower was $50; our second $75, and I'm not sure what the third one was, but we've only had 3 lawn mowers, all used.

I'll never buy a new car again--even though I've finally gotten with the program and have a car replacement fund. I figure, I'll just stash the money until I need it and then buy a used car according to how much is in my cash fund for it. I just finished paying off our cars--and for four years I was saddled with $950 a month in car payments. Never again.

I have never bought new furniture. The only "new" furniture I have is a leather sectional which my MIL bought me for our 20th anniversary. My furniture is either family castoffs or flea market finds, or stuff I bought at a really great consignment shop here in the Princeton area (Princeton folks cast off great stuff). I have to say, I like my house, and I wouldn't have done it differently. It has a lot of character.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I will buy new: underwear, pantyhose, shoes, food, utilites (some), paint and pants-that-fit.

Anything else is subject to second hand options first.
    author of A Holy Errand

What I get new... Unders, sox, toothbrush, shampoo, food. Everything else that is available second hand is an option, though I too have eschewed used furniture due to potential bedbug threat. Plus I have more than enough everything...

I will probably never buy a new car. Mine had 30,000 miles on it when I bought it a few years back, and now it has 35,000. I'll probably still be driving it when I'm 90. I might buy a new house, but the odds are against it. I'd never pay regular retail price for the clothes I pay a few dollars for at the thrifts, though i would buy them at deep discount at TJ Maxx or elsewhere.

And Steve, I love the six dollar toaster I got at Value Village. It's a two-slice retro style Oster that looked like it had never been used. I'm guessing it was a gift with not enough bells and whistles to keep.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 4-29-12 at 1:52pm.

Thread Information