Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you not buy new?

I bought DD a used swingset on Craigslist. It was in great shape. Even after paying an installer to take it apart, deliver it, and set it up in our yard, it was less than half the price of a new set and we will likely be able to resell it again.

My other buy-used recommendation is bread machines. I paid $15 for one that was nearly $300 new. And a few years later, just like the person who bought it for $300, I realized I didn't use it all that much and gave it away. (My friend got an even better deal than I did!)

A friend of mine found a bread machine, in its box, by the side of the road--apparently a giveaway. Or maybe it was in a dumpster; sometimes I can't keep the gleaned treasures straight...

I always buy "pre-owned" cars. I've picked up some clothing at thrift stores, but with clearance sales and coupons, I mostly buy clothing new. If I were in the market for furniture, I would look at yard sales, etc. as newer furniture seems to be so inferior in quality.

Bread machines are pretty easy to find - that reminds me I would like to find one

Maribeth , score in the swing set. I can totally see that it would be a savings, especially I'd it's one of the big wooden ones.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Mrs-M
    Originally posted by Cindycindy.
    I always buy "pre-owned" cars.
    This is what we want to do Re: our next vehicle purchase. Something dealership returned, and one owner driven.

Adding vehicles to my list. Hmmm... what else- what else... Trying to think...

I used to buy clothing -- not shoes or bathing suits from consignment BUT after watching these hoarding shows I realized I have no idea of where these clothes are coming from. Some of the conditions of these homes were deplorable. I buy end of season clothing and got a lot of Eddie Bauer sweaters on clearance for $20.00. That is reasonable for me . )

One thing I will definitely never buy new again is a vehicle. I used to buy new vehicles but cannot possibly afford it now and with instant depreciation consider it unwise. I will consider buying most anything used except underwear, toiletries, personal items.

I did buy a new Honda Crx and now it is 21 years and going strong. When the time comes I will buy new again. Don't think it will be for quite awhile...

Quote Originally Posted by Tussiemussies View Post
    I used to buy clothing -- not shoes or bathing suits from consignment BUT after watching these hoarding shows I realized I have no idea of where these clothes are coming from. Some of the conditions of these homes were deplorable. I buy end of season clothing and got a lot of Eddie Bauer sweaters on clearance for $20.00. That is reasonable for me . )
    Hoarders has left an impression on me too re: thrift store items!
    And there's nothing I love more than scouring a thrift store, if I have the time.

I'm ok to buy consignment items and ok with paying what I consider a service fee since the items they accept have already had to make the cut to be carried by them. I have 3 kid consignment stores that I hit up at end of season sales and buy a size or 2 up (some of the clothes don't even look like they were ever put on). But you've got to be in the know on consignment pricing & I usually won't buy without markdowns -- sometimes I can't believe the gall of some consignment shop pricing.

I too would never buy a new car again and let the first owner take the largest depreciation hit.
    I did car payments once and that pretty much cured me of that.

I have recently entered into the world of eBay purchases (danger, danger) - but there are some very specific things I've needed and rather than waste the gas driving to find them I stick to a very defined price range and purchase if cost/shipping falls within that range.

Things I buy used - most of the kids clothes/shoes/sports equip, toys, books, my clothes/shoes, housewares, bikes, furniture, tools, yard equipment, cars, camping equipment, appliances (got some great appliances once that a contractor had ordered in the wrong color)--appliances are a gamble b/c there are no guarantees or recourse if you get a lemon

Things I wouldn't buy used - undies, cushy-upholstery items/pillows (I might buy cushy things from craigslist or yard sale, so I could give the source a look over), mattress

I haven't been to a ton of estate sales, but one I went to left a strange impression on me.... they were selling EVERYTHING... the half used bottle of PeptoBismol in the med. cabinet, etc --- It really made me feel the meaning of 'Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust'.

I have to be vigilant with keeping crap out of my life though and closely monitor myself that I am not wasting time & energy on 'things' vs. 'experiences' --- but I do, on occasion, find pleasure in 'the experience of browsing things' --- I get ideas about how to use what I already have or spurred on to get rid of stuff.
    I think another reason I like doing used is that I may have been a horse trader in a former life, DH constantly busts me for 'working an angle' on just about everything -- I love working a deal both professionally or personally.
    Last edited by mtnlaurel; 4-30-12 at 10:13am.

I'd never, ever buy a brand new vehicle.

DH and I did buy a brand new RV trailer five years ago but that was back when we didn't know any better. I pretty sure I wouldn't do that again.

Thread Information