Thread: craft activisim

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

craft activisim

Actually I guess this thread is 2 fold: First, I am seeking a CHEAP copy of this book (Craft Activism) if anyone happens to have one they would like to sell.

Secondly for those who have looked at this book, I would like to hear your thoughts about it. I am so intrigued by some of the art/craft - like knit bombing. Beautiful ideas to brighten up a bare tree, park bench, etc. Wonder how the City Council in my tiny town would take that? Not too well I am thinking!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Just checked on abebooks.com. Least expensive copy with free shipping is $13.55, next cheapest is $11.50 with $5 shipping. Great site for finding books.

The concept and book sounds intriguing!

There is so much information on the internet about successful yarn graffiti projects that you probably don't need the book.
    Here's a project a friend of mine has done called Stop Sign Flowers: http://stopsignflower.com/

He had the idea to add flowers & stems to stop signs in his neighborhood so he put together a proposal on Kickstarter which is a crowd source funding website.
    He made his funding goal and was ready to go: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...flowe?ref=live

He organized knitting get-togethers at the craft store he made his yarn bulk order through and some of the volunteers had never knitted before so they learned to knit through this project

Slowly but surely they got the stop sign flowers up and reached their goal of 100. Unfortunately the city has just recently asked him to remove them. However there is a petition on change.org to have them stay up...things are still unfolding at this point.

Do you have any ideas in mind of what you'd like to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiana View Post
    Do you have any ideas in mind of what you'd like to do?
    No, I don't have any idea, just enjoying reading about what others have done right now. I thought I would take my library copy of this book to my knitters group and see what they think about this.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I just LOVe the carat stop sign fliers -- thanks for posting that!

Thread Information