Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when relatives don't want to help themselves

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

when relatives don't want to help themselves

In this economic downturn we have a family member who recently asked us for money. Several years ago when MIL was widowed we helped her with her finances and she saw some of our financial papers. Since then she has several times said things like "we'll most people aren't rich like you" when in fact we are far from rich, just very frugal and we go without a lot. Well I think she shared this with the family member but she denied it when I politely asked. They seem to think we are "loaded."

The DH lost his high paying job and has a series of low paying ones he can't seem to keep. At one point I would have thought it was him but today you never know- really good people are let go at a moments notice today. They still drive nicer bigger cars than us and when the money was rolling in they lived quite the high lifestyle. Recently I bought over a chicken pot pie full of fresh vegetables in homemade pie crust (super yummy) but she said he wouldn't eat stuff mixed together. he liked things like meat and potatoes, yet there were take out pizza boxes in the kitchen. She said they were working so hard they "deserved" it. I e-mailed her my pizza crust recipe when I got home but she has yet to try it. They are "too busy". They have a garage full of stuff they could sell, but haven't gotten around to it. I even offered to come over and help them set up a garage sale and list some bigger items on craigslist but they might need it in the future and don't want to sell anything. It seems like everything we suggest is rejected. I want to help but they don't want help but are ready to ask for handouts.

we have continued to be kind but I know they are very annoyed that we aren't willing to give them money and I have no problems saying no to them and setting limits. She made a rude comment to me recently about how selfish some people were in front of other family members and I asked her if she meant us? I explained I didn't cause him to lose his job and we will help where we can, we just don't have enough to support anyone but ourselves. The other family members around the they seemed relieved that I said something and of course she backtracked and said she didn't mean that. They someday will learn to make choices and stop saying poor me but until then I am not willing to subsidize their lifestyle.

So how do you handle such instances? Anything else I can do? My biggest fear is they do get some money out of MIL and I can see her eventually going from a comfortable lifestyle to one that is in financial jeopardy.

I think it's great what you said to her. Perfect! You are handling this situation as well as can be expected.

You shouldn't feel responsible at all flowers! I know its hard when people say mean/untrue things that are directed towards you, but it sounds like you do alot already, even if its not money. I think you should try not to feel guilted into giving.........which it sounds like they are doing. It was very sweet of you to take the homemade pot pie and offer help with a garage sale and Craig's list! Stand your ground. If they can't deal with reason, then you just can't let it bother you. You sound like a very kind person!

Also I would like to know the exact "poor me" script I need to say to you so that I, too, can get a homemade delivered pot pie. Please! I am in need! (Love chicken pot pies or even veg pot pies!)

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    Also I would like to know the exact "poor me" script I need to say to you so that I, too, can get a homemade delivered pot pie. Please! I am in need! (Love chicken pot pies or even veg pot pies!)
    If I were closer I would bring you one. I love to cook and made two this weekend after going to farmers market, one for company (who couldn't stop talking about how good it tasted) and one for them as we were visiting on Sunday and I thought it would be nice to show up with food.

I think its pretty rude for the pot pie recipient to have responded the way they did. What's wrong with a gracious thank you so much, you went to a lot of effort even if he /doesn't/ like it. The only thing I would do differently is to stop offering to help, they are looking for a magic pill so they don't have to change a thing at all.

PS I'll take that pot pie (or maybe split it with Iris) so it won't go to waste. I hate to see food wasted.

You were very gracious to offer help and to bring over food. It's too bad they weren't gracious recipients! I think you said the right thing to her too. There is no way I would give someone money when they have assets to sell first. It sounds like they need to make some lifestyle changes. Giving them money isn't going to help them do that.

Sometimes, I think, people really don't want help. They want to complain. If things are fixed then there is nothing to complain about, no one will feel sorry for them, no more "poor-me" talk, no more handouts. In that case it is as if they want to continue in the misery and have others feel sorry for them, or until someone comes in and fixes it all (usually meaning $$$) until the next situation comes along. Being empathetic and offering practical help as you have done seems to be all you can do for them.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I would leave an open invitation as such: " When you are ready to par down your lifestyle so that you are able to live within your means, give me a call and I'll be glad to help you figure things out". Otherwise I don't think there is anything you can do. Nor should you do.

JMO

The truth is that most people don't want help and they don't want to hear what you have to say. They just want the cash.

Thread Information