Thread: more reminiscences...

more reminiscences...

We moved into our first home after we had our first two sons. My ex was away on business trips for 40 weeks/year, using a company car. We were far too poor to buy me my own car then, but the problem was that the house was so far away from our doctor or grocery stores.

This meant that I had to walk three blocks up the street to catch a bus to get me there with two small kids, so I put the youngest one in the stroller and put a harness on the older one so he couldn't run off. Once the bus stopped, I got on with the stroller, the older son could get on and off himself, and I carried the 18 month old toddler. I had to transfer to a different bus to get to the mall, which meant doing the same procedure over again. Once we got to the store I grabbed a shopping cart to put the kids and the folded stroller in it but only had enough room to pack the groceries around them. Luckily we didn't need much food then.

I had my groceries delivered and then had to do the same thing going home.

Same thing to get them to our doctor.

Good thing I was so young then (in my early 20s), and had enough energy to get it done!

Wow - husband gone 40 weeks a year while you had two little ones would be hard. How long after that did he become the "EX"??

We had just one truck, our show truck, when our guys were little and if my husband was out doing a show (he tried to do only 1-2 a month at that time) I'd be home for a long weekend alone with the babies but was very thankful to have a good friend who would check on me every day and see if I needed anything from town.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I had to stay with him until the kids (4 by then) had finished their education (3 of them were able to pay for their own education by working during the summer vacations--this was during the 1960-1980s when temporary jobs were easy to get), after that I was able to pay my way through college by doing temporary work.

I graduated that way.

My husband was extremely cruel to the kids and myself, so it was great to finally get rid of him.

I'm sure it was lizii.
    I have a hard time imagining staying in a cruel situation that long, can you remember the first thing you did to 'proclaim your freedom' once it was final?
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I'm sure it was lizii.
    I have a hard time imagining staying in a cruel situation that long, can you remember the first thing you did to 'proclaim your freedom' once it was final?
    Yup, I took a good friend out for lunch.

Just tryin' to imagine if I experience the same lol.

Thread Information