Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever leave your purse or wallet at home by mistake?

Ever leave your purse or wallet at home by mistake?

I was supposed to meet DD1 today and drove an hour before I realized that I had no purse, no money, no cellphone, no ID, and we were meeting in a short while. I had 25 cents to try the payphone but to call DH I had to put in $4.30 before my call could continue. He would probably be outside anyway.
    It was very stressful, scary but all worked out after I raced home (within the speed limit) and got DH calling family members to try and let DD know that I was going to be late.
    How did it work out for you?

This is the one thing I am paranoid about. I have left my wallet at home before. Usually I put it in another bag (diaper bag, backpack) and forget to put it back in my purse. No dire consequences, but I was going to go grocery shopping and couldn't. One habit I have is to check my wallet before going into the store. I would hate to have a big cart of groceries and not be able to pay for it!

I know people who leave cash in their cars in case they run out of gas and forget their wallets at the same time. I've not done that, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a few bucks in change or something, just to get home. I don't run my gas tank dry either. Too paranoid about running out of gas and being stranded!

I realized I left my purse at work once, when I got to the pickup window for pizza and realized I had nothing with me. Ever since, I've usually carried a $20 in my glove box.

I did that once after we moved to our new place -- got all the way to the bus stop when I realized I didn't have my purse (where I keep both bus pass and cash). Also didn't have keys to get in the security door downstairs, and at that point I didn't know the code. It was 5:30 in the morning, DH and the kids were still at his parents' house (I had come back early after Lunar New Year) and I had to wait until someone came out to get in to the elevators. I think I waited about 10 minutes, which wasn't too bad considering it was a holiday for everyone else. Another blessing was that we have a keypad function on our door lock at home, so I could get in without a key. I would't really have known what to do otherwise -- our fancy locks are not easily opened by a locksmith...

I have also made it all the way to the office only to discover I don't have my keys. I usually get there around 6:30 am, and the next person to arrive comes in around 7:30. Not fun sitting on the floor in the hall waiting for an hour...

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    This Spring has been a bit hard on me and I have found out that if I don't get a little bit of downtime, I end out moving too fast and doing things like leaving my wallet at home, leaving my cell phone at home when I am expecting a call, just in general not taking things with me that I need when I walk out the front door. I have learned as I am healing from burnout to slow down, and to do a check when I leave - do I have everything I need with me? Seriously, that saves me from stress and chaos right there.....Rob

This is kind of a sidebar topic, but its my feel good story and close to the OP. DW went on a trip once and left her purse in a Taco Bell. She drove several hundred miles before needing gas and realizing she had no money, no phone, no credit cards, no ID, etc. The gas station owner let her fill up and promise to return to pay on her round trip back. He let her use the phone to call the restaurant. Someone had found her purse, turned it in to the manager and they had it in their safe. The gas station owner called the owner of the hotel and they arranged for her to stay there (by this time it was late) and also said she could pay on her way back through. She spent the night in the hotel, drove back to the restaurant, got her purse from a completely different shift of employees, turned around, paid everyone and finished her trip. Between the person who found her purse and the restaurant employees there were a lot of people who had access to her phone, credit cards and cash. Nothing was touched. Between a tank of gas and a hotel stay some other people trusted her to pay them when she could. The most difficult part in the end was figuring out what to do to thank all those good people.

Back to the OP, I'm just like Rob. Every time I leave the house I zip through my mental check list to make sure I have what I need. That, and I write a lot of stuff on lists these days.

Yes...I am completely absent minded. Last thursday I put my wallet in my bag for the farmers market. When I took my veggies out I left the bag and wallet on the counter. Thursday night I ran to the store for some milk when I was in the middle of cooking. Got to the store nearby and realized the wallet was at home! Rummaged through my car to find enough change for a small thing of milk. When I got home I should have put the wallet in my purse, but didn't. Friday I was going out to lunch with a coworker and realized I still didn't have the wallet! She picked up my bill and of course felt like a complete idiot. Friday night when I got home the wallet went straight into the purse.

Glad to hear that it doesn't happen to just me. I had to go out today and kept looking to be sure that my purse was in the car with me.

I left my wallet (small credit card size with 2 credit cards and $50 cash) in our Culver's restaurant last year. Thankful that a sweet employee (young man) found it and put it in the manager's safe then looked up our last name in an old phone book to call me and let me know that it and how much money was in it was safe. Left him a reward.

I was in Jr High and the family was 3/4 across kansas headed to colorado for vacation when my dad realized his wallet was still at home. Thankful that mom was carrying the vacation cash and traveler's checks (pre credit ard). He stopped at a police station to ask what to do and they notified colorado and kansas highway patrol of the situation. We continued on our way and managed 3 weeks without a problem.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I realized I left my purse at work once, when I got to the pickup window for pizza and realized I had nothing with me. Ever since, I've usually carried a $20 in my glove box.
    Money in the glove box, excellent idea. My husband asked if I wanted to ride in town with him to get gas in his truck. I jumped in the truck (no purse, no money) and went with him. He filled the truck gas tank, went in to pay and realized his wallet was in other pants at home. He stayed at the gas station while I drove home without any drivers license, identification or money to get his wallet (took back roads). I've have also left my purse at home (at work, at a restaurant), drive fine without it until I realize I don't have it with me then I nervously drive where ever to get it.
    Last edited by goldensmom; 5-15-12 at 8:26am.

Thread Information