Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever leave your purse or wallet at home by mistake?

I ended up purchasing this Zip ID case from Vera Bradely. My car and house keys are on it. Inside I have my license, debit card and some cash. I can't get far without it, since my car keys are on it.

Mrs-M
    These are great stories! I live a boring life, so even if I were to forget my clutch or purse, I'm only minutes away from home to go back and get it, but I have heard stories where people forget wallets/purses when going on vacation! How miserable that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    This is kind of a sidebar topic, but its my feel good story and close to the OP. DW went on a trip once and left her purse in a Taco Bell. She drove several hundred miles before needing gas and realizing she had no money, no phone, no credit cards, no ID, etc. The gas station owner let her fill up and promise to return to pay on her round trip back. He let her use the phone to call the restaurant. Someone had found her purse, turned it in to the manager and they had it in their safe. The gas station owner called the owner of the hotel and they arranged for her to stay there (by this time it was late) and also said she could pay on her way back through. She spent the night in the hotel, drove back to the restaurant, got her purse from a completely different shift of employees, turned around, paid everyone and finished her trip. Between the person who found her purse and the restaurant employees there were a lot of people who had access to her phone, credit cards and cash. Nothing was touched. Between a tank of gas and a hotel stay some other people trusted her to pay them when she could. The most difficult part in the end was figuring out what to do to thank all those good people.

Back to the OP, I'm just like Rob. Every time I leave the house I zip through my mental check list to make sure I have what I need. That, and I write a lot of stuff on lists these days.
    what a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing Gregg, it made me smile!

I have done these things many times over the years so I now have a car that the keys stay in the purse
    to open and start. So, can't start car without purse, but can still leave wallet at home. Always keep a few dollars
    in glove compartment and gas tank never below 1/2 full.
    Best story was 50 years ago, yes I was very young then with 2 children under 3.
    My husband, mother and I and the kids were visiting family in Southern Ont. we were living in the north at that time.
    We took a drive for lunch over the border into the states for the afternoon when we got back I realized I must have
    left my purse in the restaurant. We called and they had it. Dh and I drove back to get it leaving my mom to babysit so we
    ended up having a lovely date night something that we never got in those days because we had NO money.
    But, the funny part if the story was what was in the purse that was so valuable. Birth control pills....lol.....

Yppej
    I once had a couple hundred dollars in my bra as I felt that was safer in case I were robbed. It fell out in the supermarket and an honest employee turned it in. Whew!

Here is a good one.

End of May when my ladyfriend and I were going to the airport to fly to Florida for our cruise I drove to her house to pick her up.

I throw her duffel bag into the hatch. She has a little backpack and purse she puts in the front seat with her when she sits down. Now, we are not running late. But we are also not early either. So before I start the car up to drive away, while I am sitting in the driver's seat and she is in the passenger seat, I says to her: "Phone, wallet, keys? Got'em?"

I say this to her often when she leaves my apartment or when we are leaving to go anywhere. "Phone, wallet, keys?" She has forgotten them a bunch of times.

Anyway, in this instance she says: "Yes! Yes! I do have them. Of course I do!"

I could tell she was annoyed for me asking.

Because we are about to leave the state and country by car, plane, bus, and boat I say: "Are you sure?"

Now she is getting pissed off and gives me this look like: "I don't need no man telling me I need to remember everything! I am a strong, independent woman!"

She says: "My iWatch says my phone is right here."

So I says: "Okay, let's go."

But I am still dubious because I did not actually see that she had the wallet and phone, which are in one case together.

We drive to the airport. We park. We ride the shuttle to departures. I lug her duffel bag and my little backpack through security.

Once we get on the other side she says: "I think the TSA agents lost my wallet and phone."

I am thinking: "Yeah. Sure. That is what happened."

So I say: "Well, better go ask them."

She goes and asks them. Nope, they don't have it.

She says: "I bet it fell out in your car."

I was like, even if that is true we don't have time to take the shuttle back and go through security. I asked: "Do you have anything on you?"

She says: "My passport and $500 USD. I also have my iWatch and my iPad."

Then she starts freaking out thinking that someone will break into my car and steal her wallet and phone which has her "whole life" in it. Or that she dropped it in the parking lot and someone already stole it.

Then she starts entertaining the idea that she left it at home.

I am like: "No, duh."

So she texts my sister on her iWatch. She asks my sis to go to her house and see if the wallet and phone are there.

My sis agrees, gets the punch code for the door lock, and heads over to my ladyfriend's.

Meanwhile we fly to Orlando. At this point I tell my ladyfriend: "You cannot lose your passport. It is your only ID. Keep it on your person in a secure place where only your passport will be, like a dedicated passport pocket."

She is very annoyed with me at this point but has no option but to agree with me that she must do this. So she does.

My sis sends her a text on her iWatch when we get to Orlando. The phone and wallet are at my ladyfriend's house. Apparently the iWatch was not super accurate in tracking the location of her phone. Can't trust gadgets with other gadgets!

My ladyfriend instructed my sis to take the phone and wallet with her because my ladyfriend lives in the ghetto and was worried about a break-in.

Anyway, we made it work. I had cash and my debit card. My ladyfriend had $500 USD.

But the whole thing was annoying and nerve racking. The silver lining is that now whenever I ask her: "Phone, wallet, keys?" She has to be grateful for the reminder because she knows I can always ask: "Remember the cruise?" LOL

I'm like jennipurr. I have so many incidences of having left something at home I can't even list them all. I'm terribly absent-minded and I also am bad at putting things back in my pocketbook once I've taken them out. Such as, if I take out my credit/debit card to make an online purchase, I'll forget to put it back in my wallet, and then I get to the store and realize I don't have it on me.

For that reason, I also have adopted herbgeek's idea: I usually put a credit card in the zippered part of my purse along with $20.

That didn't help a couple of weeks ago when I forgot to put my driver's license back in my purse, and when I had to show it to get store credit for something, I couldn't produce it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I purposely went to Hermann, a drive of 1.5 hours, a few weeks ago with little cash because I just dont carry cash. I intended to go to an antique show.

Well, they charged $7 to get in the door and I didnt have it! Couldnt go to a bank because
    I didnt have a bank card.

Pretty stupid!

Haha, UL!! Great story. You made me laugh, although I hope you don't torture your gf with the "remember the cruise" reminders too excessively.

You reminded me of a very similar situation when DH and I stayed at a hotel in Orlando for a couple of days. As is typically the case, by the time we left, DH was on a first name basis with the entire hotel staff. He ordered the car from the valet, and we brought our bags down to the curb outside the lobby to wait for the car, and meanwhile, DH is the only guy I know who gets hugs from hotel bellmen and front desk clerks, and there we are, hugging and laughing and waving, "Goodbye! Goodbye! Hope to see you again!" and we see them in the rear view mirror like long lost family, waving after us.

We get to the rental car return, and I pop open the trunk andl--whon whon whon--no luggage. We were so involved with the leave-taking that the bellmen forgot to put the luggage in the car. Thank GOD we left in enough time to go back to the hotel and pick it up.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I tend to carry a very small purse that fits a small cc holder that is my wallet. Don't care how dorky it looks, but the shoulder strap goes on immediately every time I leave the house - lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information