Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Do you pray?

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma Bum View Post
    I've been trying to get my head around this for days. So in your world someone's belief that god told them to kill gays because he hates them is equivalent to the use of radiometric dating and genetics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharma Bum View Post
    I've been trying to get my head around this for days. So in your world someone's belief that god told them to kill gays because he hates them is equivalent to the use of radiometric dating and genetics?
    Equivalent in what way? I'd say that a scientist probably believes in his radiometric dating as much as the person who hears from a hateful God. It might be demonstrated at some point in the future that radiometric dating is deceiving, not unlike the way genetic determinism of disease has been debunked. One day the person who believes that God talks to him may realize that what he hears in his head is actually the voice of someone from his childhood. In this way they might both be equally wrong.

Would you say that a group of scientists that believe in the science of inferior races, who go on to participate in the extinction of a race, are equal to a man who listens to God and frees India using Non-violence?

This may not be an exact parallel to your question but what I'm trying to point out is that science is not superior to spirituality (and vice-versa). What any individual believes is always self-serving. At the end of the day, I'm not sure there are any inferior beliefs except maybe the one that says, "I'm better than those idiots who believe in that crap".

IMO, mortal man can only ascertain relative truths: those which eventually move. Sometimes the perception is individual and short lived, and in other cases it is shared by millions and long lasting. The latter seems to be case which makes some people want to shove religion or science down other people's throats.

I remember hearing a good story in Buddhism years ago in which Mara (the equivalent of Satan) is walking along with one of his henchmen. They see a man walking along who finds a piece of the truth on the ground. Mara says, "good". His henchman is confused and asks, "why is that good?" And Mara replies that he'll make a belief out of it.

The scientist may protest by saying that what he does is repeatable therefore it is truth, not belief. I would argue that what he does is truth also, but that what he says about it, or how he interprets it, is not truth...ever.

Perhaps starfish and lizards have a clearer connection to the divine...
    Does that make my cats faith healers?

Perhaps imperfect ones however since I've never seen a lizard regenerate an arm or leg, just their tails.

Thread Information