Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $500 savings on eyeglasses

$500 savings on eyeglasses

I knew that eyeglasses, like everything else connected with medical care, have risen greatly in price in recent years. But I was in for a shock when I had my eye exam a couple of weeks ago and got a price for new frames and lenses. The first price they quoted me was around $1,000. When I gulped in disbelief, the assistant started offering me “discounts,” which brought the price down to around $800.
    I knew that the local Costco had a discount optometrist. Even though I’ve never been a Costco guy (I have no need for things like five-gallon tubs of mustard that make Costco so attractive to many) I figured I’d check it out.
    Bottom line: For new frames and lenses with the exact same specifications as the retail optometrist was offering me (thinnest possible progressive lenses with protective coating) I ended up spending just under $300 including my $55 Costco membership, saving $500!
    I’m posting this anecdote not just to remind folks that they should definitely comparison shop for eyewear, but also to pose a question: How do retail optometrists get away with this kind of thing? I suppose a partial answer may be that some people have insurance that somewhat insulates them from the true cost. (This was the case with me until recently, when I switched jobs.) But even so, a $500 mark up? You’ve got to wonder how much longer retail optometrists can survive before the word gets out and they either have to compete with the discount houses or go out of business.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    And then there's people like me who have their glasses made in Mexico.....where progressive transitions lenses with a decent frame and scratch coating can be yours for $125, or you can get two pairs of glasses, like I recently did, with scratch coating and progressive lenses and decent frames, one regular pair, and one prescription sunglasses, with eye exam included - all these prices include the eye exam BTW - for $95! Seriously. I would never pay American prices for optical again!!! I love and respect my life energy too much to do so to do it in YMOYL terms.....Rob

Good job shopping around and getting a lower price.

I always get my RX and then go to one of the discount places and usually walk out with 2-3 pair including on RX sunglass for under $400. There are also several on-line options now where you can get a pair of glasses for $10. You just need to make sure that when you get your RX you get the measurement between your pupils.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Ok, deets pleeze on where & how in Mexico? I'm interested.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    Ok, deets pleeze on where & how in Mexico? I'm interested.
    Hi Redfox....Something I can recommend is that you log onto www.losalgodones.com and poke around the site. The place I had my glasses made was called Gala Optical, I can highly recommend them but if you should go, definitely print out a copy of their ad prices as if you don't have this with you, the prices are about $25 more. I think you can google Gala Optical Los Algodones too and get right to their ad. Should you be in the market for a dentist, I can PM you the details of mine. He is very good but not the cheapest in town - what sold me on this particular dentists is that he's open to herbal solutions for my gum inflammation and not selling me on gum surgery right off the bat. Gotta like him for that.

Other than that, there is a great pharmacy as you cross the border called the Purple Phamacy, I have had good luck there getting my BP and gout pills very cheap.....If you drink, Kahlua is 1/2 there. There are MD's scattered about town, though I did not see one so I can't advise here. As I get older I'm getting a bit vain and will probably sometime this year go get a chemical peel at the dermatologist's - $200 and my one treat to myself this year. The place I stayed at was called Hacienda de los Algodones - $40 a night and very clean and safe and you will meet many Americans and Canadians there fleeing overpriced services......many are sorta SL types in their own way.

More info than you asked for but who knows, maybe it will be helpful to someone here? Rob

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely try it next time. I need pretty much the glasses you mentioned, but I have to try on glasses in person, so I can't do mail order. I do know people who have saved a bundle ordering online.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Good job shopping around and getting a lower price.

I always get my RX and then go to one of the discount places and usually walk out with 2-3 pair including on RX sunglass for under $400. There are also several on-line options now where you can get a pair of glasses for $10. You just need to make sure that when you get your RX you get the measurement between your pupils.
    I used to also, until I needed progressives. That kicks up the price quite a bit.

I just read about Zenni Optical at Mr. Money Mustache. I haven't used them, but I will definitely consider it when I need new lenses. I also feel like I need to try on frames in person, but my current frames are good for at least a couple more years with just a lens/prescription change.

It has always really annoyed me, not only how crazy-expensive frames are (the lenses are the cheaper part, usually), but that most brick and mortar opticians only sell designer frames (who need Calvin Klein glasses), which of course just artificially inflates the prices.

I've gone the Costco route before, but even that's not cheap. I do have vision coverage, but it's not nearly comprehensive enough.

Kara (a four-eyes since age 2.5)

I've been getting my glasses at (choke!) Walmart for the last few years. Last summer I got bifocals for $58, Rx sunglasses in the same style frames $129. Like floaton I get the prescription from my eye dr. and then go elsewhere to have them made up, and I have been satisfied with Walmart's eyeglass service.

My eye prescription is so strong that if I dropped my glasses, I'd need help finding them! And recently I went bifocal, which bumps the complexity (and thus the price) substantially. We've been dealing with a local optician which has favored our good business with half-off coupons, which brings the prices down without abandoning the value of a long-experienced optician and in-person fittings (more critical for multi-focal lenses). He's also willing to fix bent frames and worn nosepads for free (not our experience with some of the chains with "low" advertised prices). Complex prescriptions are breathtakingly expensive, but I live with my glasses from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep. They're worth more $$ to me and, fortunately, so far it's fit into the budget.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information