Thread: the junk men are out in force

the junk men are out in force

Our city has what they call bulky pick up twice a year to give citizens a chance to discard large items like furniture and appliances. It is so funny to watch as men pulling flatbed trailers go whizzing around the neighborhood and grabbiing all of our used goods. It is almost like a competition to see who can discover a good pile first. DH calls them the "dung beetles" since they roll away with our sh--. I guess too it says something about people that they put out so much stuff - much of it in completely fine condition.

"dung beetles".............that's good!

There are a couple people like that who come through my neighborhood on a weekly basis. I've met one of them - the "metal lady". I've also seen the garbage man pull electrical cords off appliances and hang them on the side of his truck (for the copper).

I don't really think it's funny - it's more a statement about how people have to scavenge to make ends meet. These people happen to be doing it legally, so more power to them.

There were people (mostly men) who used to do that regularly in my old neighborhood in the city. They were more prompt in their schedule than the city garbagemen, and left less of a mess after themselves. Some people regularly left old appliances and furniture in the alley to be picked up; where they got so much furniture and other items to dispose of, I don't know. I guess the metal was sold as scrap and any usable parts used for repairs.
    I can't complain, though. Dsil's brother is often given used appliances, and he stores them in his garage. Recently, our fridge started acting like it was on its last legs, and he brought a really nice side-by-side fridge out. The freezer is larger than what we had, and more convenient to use, too. After cleaning it, all we need to do is get a hose so the ice maker can be connected.

This would happen on a DAILY basis in Chicago neighborhoods. Many homes had alleys behind them. You would just pile the stuff you didn't want out in the alley and it would be gone within 24 hours, if not sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    This would happen on a DAILY basis in Chicago neighborhoods.
    Same in New York City back in the 70s. It was rare that anything serviceable ended up in the truck. A lot of things also got passed among neighbors.

I still have a night table in a spare room that we took out of the trash. The finish on top was bad, and it was covered with Con-Tact plastic for years. When I got interested in fixing things later in my teens, I refinished the top.

Well, we usually had a day when they would pick up furniture, and a separate day for appliances, car batteries, and the like. Someone was by nearly every day, but they didn't take everything every day. I don't know if they were specializing in some things or if they didn't wannt to risk damaging items, like ruining upholstery with battery acid.

In Phoenix we have large trash pickup 4x/year. Last month my sibling put a broken hot water heater and broken washer out for the pickup. Nine minutes later it was gone, picked up by neighborhood scavengers.

I agree there's always been "recycling" among neighbors during these pickup days, but now it definitely seems the economy is the driving factor.

We don't have a large trash pick-up in my city. I'm grateful for the junk collectors who take that stuff away. When I was remodeling my bus, I took out a boatload of steel studs and put them on the curb, hoping somebody would take them. Somebody came by and asked if he could take them while I was still working on it! We also got rid of an old satellite dish that way. Lots of po folks around lately recycling scrap metal.

Thread Information