Quote Originally Posted by Xmac View Post
Isn't it "their" path to believe that their path is the only path? Do you want them to change their path or convert them?
Isn't it possible that they are there to test our committment to compassion and our understanding of, as Mother Theresa put it, "...we belong to each other". If someone thinks I'm going to hell and that it's their job to save me, they might be suffering. If my religion is compassion and/or kindness am I only giving it to those who don't challenge me?

As for the "Christ died on the cross for us" comment, I might handle it like this: Do you mean Christ, as a title of higher consciousness that died or ended on the cross which is a point at which two lines intersect and a symbol of dualism? You mean Enlightenment ended with dualism to create "us", apparently separate expressiions of the Godhead or ground of being. Ya, I see that. If they freak out, they're not ready for any common ground and need separation as much as you might need unity. I'd respect that and just listen, sometimes that's all people really want is to be heard.
No, I don't want them to change their path. It's their choice, and I respect it. I have no desire to convert anyone. I'm still compassionate and friendly (kind) to them if I see them when I'm driving down the street. I wave and smile. I just keep a distance. I believe detachment is healthy around people who are addicts. (They are also hoarders.)

I attended the Christian church as a child and have many friends who are Christian. We can discuss anything, and it's not a problem. With this couple, they told me they believe they are "True Christians," and the other people are not. It's just way too intense. It's their path, and I have a different path.

chord_ata,

That's interesting. One of the forms of yoga I practice, Kundalini Yoga, is called the yoga of self awareness. Another friend told me that it seems like I'm on a different plane. It's true. I don't feel I'm a "non believer." I just don't believe that all of the Jews, Buddhist, Hindus, etc...are going to hell. There's a whole world out there. I really enjoy the Eastern methods of healing and their wisdom. These cultures are ancient, and I feel like our culture is young and kind of immature. Traveling in Europe really opened up my perception. Also, I believe in reincarnation, and that is a very taboo topic to them. (I've never brought it up, but I know what they'd say.)