Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sometimes I get so frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmac View Post
    Isn't it "their" path to believe that their path is the only path? Do you want them to change their path or convert them?
    Isn't it possible that they are there to test our committment to compassion and our understanding of, as Mother Theresa put it, "...we belong to each other". If someone thinks I'm going to hell and that it's their job to save me, they might be suffering. If my religion is compassion and/or kindness am I only giving it to those who don't challenge me?

As for the "Christ died on the cross for us" comment, I might handle it like this: Do you mean Christ, as a title of higher consciousness that died or ended on the cross which is a point at which two lines intersect and a symbol of dualism? You mean Enlightenment ended with dualism to create "us", apparently separate expressiions of the Godhead or ground of being. Ya, I see that. If they freak out, they're not ready for any common ground and need separation as much as you might need unity. I'd respect that and just listen, sometimes that's all people really want is to be heard.
    No, I don't want them to change their path. It's their choice, and I respect it. I have no desire to convert anyone. I'm still compassionate and friendly (kind) to them if I see them when I'm driving down the street. I wave and smile. I just keep a distance. I believe detachment is healthy around people who are addicts. (They are also hoarders.)

I attended the Christian church as a child and have many friends who are Christian. We can discuss anything, and it's not a problem. With this couple, they told me they believe they are "True Christians," and the other people are not. It's just way too intense. It's their path, and I have a different path.

chord_ata,

That's interesting. One of the forms of yoga I practice, Kundalini Yoga, is called the yoga of self awareness. Another friend told me that it seems like I'm on a different plane. It's true. I don't feel I'm a "non believer." I just don't believe that all of the Jews, Buddhist, Hindus, etc...are going to hell. There's a whole world out there. I really enjoy the Eastern methods of healing and their wisdom. These cultures are ancient, and I feel like our culture is young and kind of immature. Traveling in Europe really opened up my perception. Also, I believe in reincarnation, and that is a very taboo topic to them. (I've never brought it up, but I know what they'd say.)

My husband tells me I get a certain pained look on my face whenever I am around people who Judge -- who not only believe what they believe, but who feel everyone else should believe the same, be it religion, political views, moral standards, parenting.....

I think I must invest a significant amount of time avoiding these people, just to avoid getting that pained look While I see the value of defending one's opinions (and such folks DID serve a useful purpose in the evolution of our species, no doubt about it), I personally find most of those people tiresome to spend any significant amount of time with. They do not help me find my path by claiming theirs is the only one.

There's a beauty in faith. But I'm not interested in being "sold" on anyone else's. So I practice a little bit of loving avoidance there, I guess.

puglogic, I think I do the same thing. I am not interested in a debate on the "rightness" of their opinion. I just want the courtesy of leaving me to my opinions. I must show something in my face too and it is probably a scowl.

I know what you mean. Also, they don't do any sort of physical exercise. I think they might even be depressed. Being grounded and active makes a big difference in how I feel. What is that saying? "What you think of me is none of my business."

I didn't realize the thread had been continued. Love reading the additional comments - thanks for all the input.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul View Post
    <snip>I really enjoy the Eastern methods of healing and their wisdom. These cultures are ancient, and I feel like our culture is young and kind of immature.</snip>
    If I recall correctly, Buddhism started developing about the same time Christianity did. So did, if I recall correctly, Krishna's popularity. Makes me wonder what was going on socially at that time.

I'm not sure our culture is really that young. I think its just the current expression of it is as immature as you surmise, but I have a hunch materialism has been around for millenniums, just not with such a technical edge.

Quote Originally Posted by chord_ata View Post
    If I recall correctly, Buddhism started developing about the same time Christianity did. So did, if I recall correctly, Krishna's popularity. Makes me wonder what was going on socially at that time.

I'm not sure our culture is really that young. I think its just the current expression of it is as immature as you surmise, but I have a hunch materialism has been around for millenniums, just not with such a technical edge.
    According to my Encyclopedia of World Religions: Hinduism dates back to at least 2000BCE; The history of the Jews goes back about 4000 years; Buddhism began about 2,500 years ago; Christianity began about 2000 years ago. There is a section called Local Religions which refers to the small groups of peoples who have followed their local forms of religion since prehistoric times. i.e Aborigines of Australia, Native American Indians, various tribes of Africa, etc.

I had forgotten that I had this book! Definitely worth perusing again. :-)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Hinduism, yes. But variations of their gods appeared at different times. I am probably wrong about Krishna's date of appearance, but I still think it was closer to 2000 years ago.

Ah, Wikipedia says about fourth century BC, about a hundred years after Buddha.

That's interesting, happystuff. My grandfather was Native American, and I've always felt drawn to their philosophies. Now that I'm growing my own food, I apply their techniques. (Planting the three sisters together: corn, squash, and beans.) Being in tune with Mother Earth feels right to me...

When I practice yoga and meditation regularly, I notice that plants and animals really thrive in my care.
    Last edited by awakenedsoul; 7-13-12 at 12:57pm. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul View Post
    That's interesting, happystuff. My grandfather was Native American, and I've always felt drawn to their philosophies. Now that I'm growing my own food, I apply their techniques. (Planting the three sisters together: corn, squash, and beans.) Being in tune with Mother Earth feels right to me...

When I practice yoga and meditation regularly, I notice that plants and animals really thrive in my care.
    I've been discovering/learning about the Native American philosophy over the last 15-20 years... something I've always been interested in. I am finding so many similarities/consistencies between it and Buddhism. And I agree with being in tune. Life seems so much more rewarding and, yes - even easier in ways, when I find myself fitting in with "nature" rather than trying to make nature fit me. (Hopefully that makes sense! LOL)

Thread Information