Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So goes Wisconsin - So goes America?

So goes Wisconsin - So goes America?

Will tomorrow's recall election reflect the priorities of the rest of the United States?

Either way it turns out, what might that say for our national elections in November?

I think Gov Walker will prevail and the priorities of the good folks in Wisconsin will prove to be a bellwether in later Congressional and Presidential races. It's gonna be interesting.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Perhaps someone who is anti-Walker could represent the grounds on which his recall is based to start a discussion. It's a pretty big deal to recall a sitting governor.

I believe that so goes Wisconsin, so goes Wisconsin.

Bless my Wisconsinite family and friends (whatever they decide) but they are not the United States.

And I think they are ALL "good folks," not just the ones that agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by puglogic View Post
    I believe that so goes Wisconsin, so goes Wisconsin.

Bless my Wisconsinite family and friends (whatever they decide) but they are not the United States.
    I'm not so sure. I suspect the populace of Wisconsin are a pretty good representation of the people in the rest of the country and I think their vote tomorrow may tell us something about the national elections later in the year, whatever the result.

And I think they are ALL "good folks," not just the ones that agree with me.
    I agree. I was speaking of the collective "good folks". Those who have suffered through a year of extreme partisanship and turmoil. Those who have seen the troubles the state faced, the same troubles the rest of the Nation endures, and the results of Governor Walker's actions. I guess I'm wondering if those results are seen as good or bad and whether the good citizens of Wisconsin ultimately approve or disapprove. Then, I'm wondering if the rest of the country see's value in emulating those results and if that will manifest itself in the national elections later this year.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Perhaps someone who is anti-Walker could represent the grounds on which his recall is based to start a discussion. It's a pretty big deal to recall a sitting governor.
    costly yea, too bad they aren't running a movie star as the replacement.
    Trees don't grow on money

bunnys
    I'm concerned as well as I am a public school teacher in a right to work (read: no unions allowed) state.

I am paid a very low salary. In fact, I have a friend who recently graduated from college with a BA in English. She couldn't find a job for a long time and finally got hired as a secretary with a global computer company. Despite my graduate degree and 13 years teaching experience, she will still be making 33% higher salary than I am currently making.

It seems there's a push to in many states now (Wisconsin, OH, and PA among many others) to get those public service workers away from the taxpayers teat which we are all purportedly sucking dry.

It's very disconcerting and demoralizing. Because I don't really feel like I'm gorging myself like a pig at the trough. I'm a good teacher and I work hard and most of my colleagues do so as well and yet lately (last few years) we've gotten this idea that they want to cut us off without anything. They've been cutting our retirement, our insurance and other benefits as well. Not to mention the pay cuts we've recently been made to endure. (And with a salary that's currently 33% lower than what a newly hired secretary makes, I can ill-afford a pay cut.)

If I were the parent of a child in public school I'd want the teachers to feel like they were valued and respected and remunerated fairly. I don't understand this hostile attitude toward public service workers. Sure, they may say it's hostile only in the states where the unions are crazy with power. But the attacks on those in union states spreads like wildfire across the industry--even in those right to fire--er, work states.

I'm concerned for my situation. I don't see it getting better with this newly popular attack the public sector workers attitude. I have a mortgage to pay. I hope Walker and his ilk are defeated. But it isn't looking good...

I am paid a very low salary. In fact, I have a friend who recently graduated from college with a BA in English. She couldn't find a job for a long time and finally got hired as a secretary with a global computer company. Despite my graduate degree and 13 years teaching experience, she will still be making 33% higher salary than I am currently making.
    Are you working year round school or counting your income from summer school? Otherwise if you get 3 months off consider that she is working maybe around 25% more than you (probably gets an incredibly generous two week vacation a year if she's lucky, no spring break, a day or two off for the holidays). And when you take benefits into account she's probably not making more than you at all. And that a global computer company might be where the money is is just kinda duh.

I do think if they want good teachers they do need to pay them well. WI will pay for it if they treat their teachers badly, it will just take a few decades to play out (this stuff always does). I don't think teacher pay is terribly low at present (sometimes to hear teachers complain I think they need to further thier OWN EDUCATION on what has happened as a whole to the working class in this country!!! I mean do they know what is going on out there?). But teadher pay is not extravagent either, it's kinda average really, when you take into account time off etc.. But a little respect for other working people (yes, like secretaries) and what they have to put up with would also be nice.

I'm concerned for my situation. I don't see it getting better with this newly popular attack the public sector workers attitude. I have a mortgage to pay. I hope Walker and his ilk are defeated. But it isn't looking good...
    Around here I'd steer clear of the field just because of how many people are getting LAID OFF or will be period. Good pay matters but is secondary to whether your field actually has jobs period in determining what fields look promising for the future.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by bunnys View Post
    ... But the attacks on those in union states spreads like wildfire across the industry--even in those right to fire--er, work states...
    Do you think that teachers should be protected from firing? From the comment above, it sounds like it.

You know, it's tough to sympathize with those who can't be fired. Real tough. The average Joe cannot relate. You probably have people on your side with the salary issue, but the rest--not so much.
    Last edited by iris lily; 6-5-12 at 12:05am.

The Chicago teachers' union is threatening a strike this year if they don't get what they want in negotiations. However due to a law passed in 2011, the union needs approval from 75% of membership before they can go out on strike. The teachers want a 30% pay hike over two years!? Who the heck in the real world is getting a 30% pay hike over two years? Heck, you're lucky if you get 3%! And how many of us haven't had raises in some years?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I as well think we are in interesting times. Yes, people are upset for various reasons. The whole union and pension thing hasn't worked out too well in Europe as we can all see.

I think one of the problems with the public sector is the perception people have, often from limited workers. As I have posted before, I work as a sub nurse in two districts, and can also work as a sub teachers aide with special ed kids in one. I get called every day- often for more than one position. I am amazed, because when I worked in the private sector year round people just didn't call in sick unless you had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. So my limited experience alters my perception.

But the real truth is our elected leaders have been poor stewards of our taxpayer money on all levels. So now we all have to pitch in an pay like it or not. I can guarantee although I am almost 60 I will never get proportionately as much social security as people who retired ten years ago, they are sure the tweak the formulas little by little. Everyone will be feeling the pain like it or not. Higher taxes, fewer services. How can we avoid that?

Thread Information