Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So goes Wisconsin - So goes America?

Would you be able to afford it if you made $12/hour?

I did not read all the responses here but took note of the teacher who stated she made 33% less than her friend. My question to her is that amount for 9 months of work versus 12 months or just a yearly summation? I talk to teachers and they say they do not make as much but negate that they have months off. Would be interesting to note the hourly rate. Just wondering. Also, I do not think WI is representative of the whole US! I, for one, do not vote strictly Republican or Democrat. If Walker wins that does not necessary mean that Obama is not viable in November.

I voted this morning, and the lines were quite long. Last I heard, Walker was going in with a slight lead in the polls, but within the margin of error. Bill Clinton's been here, bloviating away as only he can. As far as returning to the status quo pro ante for the unions, I would think they'd need to pick up a senate seat or two tonight as well, and even then Barrett hasn't clearly committed to the vicious battle that would require. Most of his ads have focused on jobs, health care and "the civil war in Wisconsin" rather than his devotion to the union cause. I'd be a little surprised if he'd be willing to return, at least completely, to a pre-Act 10 Wisconsin. He's certainly benefitted from it in Milwaukee.

I live in probably the reddest county in the state, and we're projecting a 65-70% turnout. Passions are even hotter in places like Madison, which houses most of our state government and a university that likes to think of itself as the midwestern Berkeley. Things have gotten very personal and nasty here, even more so than in the Bush V. Gore days. I know of people who have given up talking about it out of sheer exhaustion.

I'll be glad to see it end. A return to national obscurity is looking pretty good to me right now.

It's not really about how much teachers get paid; it's about taking away the union's bargaining rights without negotiating with the union at all. A lot of people who have no experience working in a union type job have the wrong idea about how all unions work, based on what they've heard about the auto industry, teachers' unions in different states, etc. My husband has a union job working as a service tech at a vending company. His job pays $12.61/hour. A couple years ago, business was down and when the company negotiated with the union, they said that unless the workers took pay cuts or worked fewer hours, they'd have to cut some jobs, and they didn't want to do that. The union agreed to cuts in hours. Unions are not all goons trying to rip off the companies and union workers are not all rich lazy jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnys View Post
    I'm concerned as well as I am a public school teacher in a right to work (read: no unions allowed) state.

I am paid a very low salary. In fact, I have a friend who recently graduated from college with a BA in English. She couldn't find a job for a long time and finally got hired as a secretary with a global computer company. Despite my graduate degree and 13 years teaching experience, she will still be making 33% higher salary than I am currently making.
    I don't think that is a correct definition of Right to Work...my state is also a right to work state and we have a powerful teacher's union. From what I understand, "right to work" makes it voluntary to join the union...no one can be forced, whereas in other states it may be required to join the union if you are in a certain job. However, it would be ridiculous for any teacher here not to join the teacher's union, just for the legal representation alone. Other unions exist also, however several auto workers unions have tried to form here without success.

The education system is so messed up and I have no idea what the answer to it is. Fortunately, teachers here get paid a living wage and 99% of the teachers I know are hard working individuals who are sufficiently trained, yet the local school system keeps sliding towards oblivion. Its to the point now that I don't know if I could send my (imaginary) children...this has really all happened in the past 10-15 years and I am not sure what caused it or how to stop it, but I think it is a microcosm of what is happening at the national level.

Quote Originally Posted by jennipurrr View Post
    The education system is so messed up and I have no idea what the answer to it is
    I was under the impression that in WI now the schools are pretty good. So really if it's not broke why break it? Why change things up by breaking the teachers unions etc., when things are basically working as they are? It is pretty much impossible to bring a school system back after it has deteriorated. I haven't the slightest idea how you'd do so in California for instance. How do you bring a school system back after the professional middle class has long since lost faith in it (so much that they pay hundreds of thousands more for a house in a good school district or send their kids to private school)? Probably not possible at that point.
    Trees don't grow on money

I would say this doesn't fall under the "good folks":

Report: Robocalls falsely telling petition signers they don't have to vote

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/g...#ixzz1wwXPfF8H

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I was under the impression that in WI now the schools are pretty good. So really if it's not broke why break it? Why change things up by breaking the teachers unions etc., when things are basically working as they are? It is pretty much impossible to bring a school system back after it has deteriorated. I haven't the slightest idea how you'd do so in California for instance. How do you bring a school system back after the professional middle class has long since lost faith in it (so much that they pay hundreds of thousands more for a house in a good school district or send their kids to private school)? Probably not possible at that point.
    I'm not sure that making union dues voluntary and asking teachers to pay part of their health care premium will necessarily destroy public education. Other countries spend less on education and get better results.

My sense is that the turnout will be very high (I witnessed long line-ups at the polls this morning.) I expect the outcome will be close, maybe close enough for a mandatory recount. The lawyers have been retained, so there may possibly be some basis for the loser to go to court, but I hope not.

I have been heartily sick of attack ads on every TV channel all hours of the day and night. And on every web page I go to today I see a banner to the effect that Governor Walker needs my help today. (Sorry, Charlie!)

Recall provisions in Wisconsin law are based on the reassuring principle that government obtains its just powers from the consent of the Governed. Within established procedures the Governed are able to withdraw their consent. It does not happen often. But I think politicians (who always seem to want the job) will take notice.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post

Recall provisions in Wisconsin law are based on the reassuring principle that government obtains its just powers from the consent of the Governed.
    I have not followed this very closely but as an outsider it seems a little abusive to have recall elections over a matter of policy as opposed to misconduct. Your bar to get a recall election seems low. Is there anything that stops each side from ginning up the minimun number of petition signatures every time they lose a close election?
    Last edited by Yossarian; 6-5-12 at 9:42pm.

Thread Information