Thread: Garlic scapes

Garlic scapes

Well, it's that time of year: time to cut the scapes (flower stalks) off my garlic plants and eat them.

In past years, I have stir-fried them - luscious - made pesto, and chopped them into sauces and stews. It's a once-a-year special treat.

This year, I would like to try battering and frying them, maybe in a beer batter or tempura batter. Has anyone ever tried to do that? See any pitfalls/cautions?

And I thought this was about a beautiful painting of garlic from a distance

Sounds good to me. I like anything garlic. But I've never had a garlic scape. I'm guessing they're like those things that start to grow out of my garlic when it's been around too long?

Garlic shoots are a mainstay vegetable here in China -- we eat them at least once a week and I LOOOVE them. You can probably get them as more than a once-a-year treat if you have an asian market nearby.

I've never tried deep frying them. My favorite way to cook them is stir fried with bacon.

Leftovers of that would probably be excellent in a fritatta. .

Last night I had the leftovers from the night before with Chinese style flatbread, kind of like a wrap. That was yummy.

The last episode of the Splendid Kitchen podcast had someone call in asking what to make with them. I was half asleep on the bus so I don't remember the details, but you might find ideas on their website.

lhamo

They are also really good mixed with scrambled egg.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Here's a recipe that is pretty close to what we love:

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog...e-sausage.html

lhamo
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

What great info. I am going to try some spring garlic next year as well as the fall planting for the recipe above and I have a few more scapes that I have used in stirfries. I gave some to my neighbour who loves scapes as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Lucky you! I don't have any scapes.

Quote Originally Posted by winterberry View Post
    And I thought this was about a beautiful painting of garlic from a distance
    LOL winterberry!

They are the seed stalk that the growing garlic plant often sends up at this time of year. Looks like this: http://phoenixfarms.blogspot.com/201...pe-season.html
    You typically cut them off to help direct the plant's energies into forming the garlic head instead.
    And they're yummly.

Mrs-M
    As a garlic-lover (through and through), I see NO pitfalls or cautions!

Well they do make a pretty picture! Thanks for the link, puglogic. I'll look for them at my market.

Thread Information