Thread: Buying insulin without a prescription

Buying insulin without a prescription

When my Dr's office failed to call in my new prescription for insulin last week I was in a bind so I did a little research. Today I purchased insulin over the counter without a presription at my local Wal Mart pharmacy. And, all of this time I had been paying my Dr's office to rewrite my prescription. Wow! What a scam! They took $32 of my money just to rewrite without me even coming in.

And yes, I am ashamed of shopping at Wal Mart because I despise them. However, they have the market cornered on Humulin N and it is less than half the price of every other pharmacy I have checked, even those that say they will match the price. Since I use approximately 400 units per month (4 vials) I save over $100 per month. That is a significant amount for a person with no insurance and no job.

Just poking around - this appears to be current as of 2007, not sure if there is a more current list:

http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes...tion-laws.html

Interesting. It hasn't been that long ago that a prescription was required for syringes.

Don't need a prescription here for syringes either. Sure nice to know I can get what I need without it. Just go straight to the lab every six months for my blood work and, if it's out of range, then make an appointment.

Thread Information