Thread: How much to ask (if anything) for an online editor gig

How much to ask (if anything) for an online editor gig

I was going to run something by you guys in case anyone here has had experience in this. I post my art on a web site that lets you do that for free. It's a site that specializes in cartoon art, but they also feature graphic designers and illustrators. Contributors are overwhelmingly European. For the past couple years I've been pretty active on their site, getting to know the other artists and posting a lot of stuff and commenting on others' work.

The two entrepreneurs who started the site are German brothers, and they're based in Europe. They're both pretty fluent in English, but occasionally they've asked me to edit some of their press releases and articles for an American readership. I've also done some blogging for their site - they'll ask me to feature a certain artist, so I'll do an analysis of the person's work and add a brief interview with them at the end.

Been doing all this for free, and they're SO nice and they LOVE me, so it's been fun and I haven't had any thought of getting paid. They have plans for a book, so there's a chance my work will be featured. Just seems like good karma stuff going on.

So the other day one of the founders emailed me and said he'd like to me to join their staff - they want to make me an editor, and they also want me to be their US representative. (Not sure what that would mean.) They're working out a deal with an investor, so it sounds like they'll have some capital. I assume that's why they're making me an offer now, because they want to pay me. Otherwise they could have made me an editor before. I want to ask about this tactfully, just not sure how to phrase it.

There are other artist/editors on their site - I was wondering if I should approach them and ask if they're getting compensated. That might make it seem like I'm going behind this guy's back though, so I'm not sure if that's a good move.

Is there anything else you can think of that I should ask this guy, before making a commitment? Any ideas welcome!

Sounds like you won't know your work load with this until you've been in it 3-6 months. And if you are the "US Rep" they are going to forward every US call/email/situation to you. Whatever compensation contract you come to I'd request a re-evaluation every 3 months for the first year. You don't want to hire on thinking it'll be 10-15 hours a week and then find out you are really putting in 60.

Sounds exciting though! What a neat opportunity.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Good point, Float On - I definitely need to know what sort of time commitment they're asking for. Yeah, situations (shudder) - I don't want to manage people and their emails without getting paid. No way

Love the idea of an evaluation every three months, totally makes sense - especially for a position that's being created on the fly. Thanks!

There's one more thing - he began his invitation to me to become an editor, with a statement about his young daughter who is also an editor on the site and specializes in lots of languages.

I'm wondering - is he trying to tell me that he sees me as a kind of daughter? Is he extending an offer to become a part of his family in a way, so that I'll feel so warm and fuzzy about being included that I won't want any compensation?

Anyway, I don't want to mess it up. Hope I can figure out what's going on! Thanks!
    Last edited by kitten; 6-12-12 at 2:37pm.

"Young daughter" could be in her 20's-40's and daddy could be paying her pretty well.
    I think neither party should 'assume' anything but that is nice that he has someone already handling the similar job who would have insights into time management, what to expect, etc..
    Ask for clarification of duties and compensation.
    You'd probably be contract employee....I'm not even sure how that works between US and Germany tax wise. I bet you've got a page of questions started.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thanks Float On!

Just curious -- what's the website? I love that kind of stuff!

Hi cdttmm - I'll pm you

Just not super comfortable posting the name of the site, since it has a photo of me. I've said some negative things about my job here - don't necessarily want anyone I work with to realize I've been giving my employer the !

Quote Originally Posted by kitten View Post
    Been doing all this for free, and they're SO nice and they LOVE me, so it's been fun and I haven't had any thought of getting paid.
    I may be too harsh here, but this was my first thought...of course they love you, of course they're nice to you...they are getting your services for FREE!!! Think about the going rate for what you have been doing...they are getting very specialized skills for nothing. And that is fine because you have been wanting to do it, but its one thing that you enjoy the occasional work/hobby stuff they've been having you do, but I would try very hard to remove that aspect of negotiating the staff editor position and seek fair compensation.

I would address the reply not from the point of is there going to be compensation, but rather, requesting details of the compensation and what the scope of your role as editor and US representative will be. You need a good handle on the responsibilities of the position before you decide to accept any level of compensation.

Just my thoughts.

Jennipurr, great comments. I agree that I need to be compensated if they want me to keep writing for them, and they just haven't at all been clear on what being a US representative would involve. That piece has me flummoxed for sure...

But there must be some precedent out there for what an online editor or writer would charge as a contributing staff member. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to nail this down - would I be charging per piece, or per hour? I'm just totally at sea here.

Thread Information