Thread: Poor Man's Hot Tub

Poor Man's Hot Tub

This looks really interesting...not sure how safe though. I've always wanted an outdoor tub!

http://eartheasy.com/blog/2012/06/ho...-mans-hot-tub/

That is interesting. With a fire I'd be afraid the whole bottom of the tub would be too hot.
    We had an elderly friend and he kept a cast iron tub out in the garden. He'd fill it with water and cover it with black plastic and let it sit in the sun. He said that in the evening it was really warm and enjoyable to soak in the tub, enjoy the garden and fireflys and have a glass of wine.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

You could get a pool thermometer. Might be kinda fun when its cold out. And if you had a really curved stick, you could cook hotdogs and roast marshmallows at the same time! Par-tay!

Most plywood isn't so good in water so I'd worry about her "plug" where the hardware holes were. You could use a round, aluminum plate designed to cover an electrical box in the ceiling and just silicone that on. Once the silicone sets you wouldn't need any bolts to hold it. I'd want something a little more substantial than a piece of plywood to sit on as well. I think Float On is right, the bottom would be too hot to sit directly on. I'd also be a little worried about the paint on the tub. The fumes from burning paint can be nasty and I don't know of any that will withstand the heat of a wood fire. Of course it should be pretty well burnt off after the first couple soaks.

In my more romantic thoughts I've always loved Snorkle Tubs, or at least the thought of them. In real, and practical, life we have always had a Sundance Spa in the yard. Not cheap in the beginning and you keep on paying for it every month (electricity to keep it warm), but its never failed us, is always available immediately and is oh so luxurious.

Mrs-M
    Very creative! Imagine the winter soaks one could have under the cover of darkness and clear open sky.

That would be wonderful Mrs.M.
    I wonder if you'd end up with a red tush? haha

Do like the snorkel tub, but there is just something about a bathtub for me that makes it more of what I've always wanted. You could just wait until the water was warm and just take a bath which appeals to me more. I most definitely wouldn't want to sit on a board. What about splinters???LOL

Mrs-M
    LOL, CathyA and Tussie!

Thread Information