Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feel like my creativity is gone...

Smile Feel like my creativity is gone...

I used to be xtremely creative but these last few years have just been dry ones...wondering where my creativity has gone to!

Tough about doing the exercises in the book "The Artist's Way.". Anyone else experience the same thing? How did you get over the hump?

Just curious Tussiemussies.........are you on any antidepressants? They can have an effect on creativity.
    (Or any other meds?)

Hi Cathy A yup I on a host of things one being an antidepressant. Interesting !!!

I have felt this way, but I used to love to doodle, so I bought some nice markers and a sketch book at an art store & have been rediscovering doodling. Nice when I don't have time to sew/knit/crochet.

We used to consider some ADHD meds for our son, who was incredibly creative. But one consideration was that we didn't want to mute that part of him........so no drugs.
    And something like a beta blocker can make you feel really listless. I know its a balance though.........its great to be creative, but if you're depressed all the time..............
    I would really consider it a problem with some med you're on. Any alternatives?

I've been working on The artist's Way for several years- obviously not every day although I am doing the 3 pages every morning very regularly. I think it helps me remember what I like to do. I've also been doing meditation and hypnosis tapes. I am retired with no children, just a husband who is very quiet during my time. I've also enjoyed coloring in some of the Dover historic books. I bought some very nice colored pencils and listen to meditation music while I color. It clears the mind so the creativity can come back. Tussie- I'd try these things before going off the antidepressants. I feel The Artist's Way changed my life!

Wow, this is very timely--just Sunday night I pulled The Artist's Way from under a pile of books in my nightstand. Last time I had started the exercises was back when it first came out! But I've been feeling a pull to putting myself out there more, creatively speaking. So, I think I'm going to redo The Artist's Way.

In my life, I started out as a child drawing, then painting, writing poetry, making my own clothes, starting little "businesses" and acting (I was a drama major). Then I sort of just stuffed it all inside while I worked full-time at pretty prosaic jobs... I have not done any, not any of those things that were very fulfilling to me in a past life. Time to exercise that right brain a little!

I've spent many years trying to just get by money-wise, and that led me to this idea that art isn't important. I think of poor people, and think, art is a luxury most people can't afford. So I have this linear mindset that has told myself, that I don't believe I can afford to be creative because I'm still lacking.. I still haven't gotten some amorphous level at which I can allow myself to indulge in creativity.

But I've just recently came to the conclusion that we can't afford NOT to share our creative selves with the world, because that's what inspires us and others out of a purely survival mindset and draws us to something more transcendent.

If we concur we have "enough" materially, we need to share "more" spiritually and creatively.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I love "The Artist's Way" and it was one of the few books I packed in my suitcase when we moved to Israel...I didn't want to risk leaving it in our shipping container. I worked through the entire book once, and now return to it whenever I'm in a creative drought. I have a similar story to Catherine's, above, and have reached the same conclusion she has. Very well said, Catherine!

I have just started doing Morning Pages as I was feeling like Tussiemussie - no creative juice.
    It's interesting how the random thoughts that I put on paper start to take shape, and I find myself becoming excited about ideas that I didn't know were dwelling in the dark recesses of my brain.

The Artist's Way was a big help to me a few years back, when I was trying to find direction for my life. I let my copy go. I may need to find another and work through the exercises again. I loved doing the Morning Pages.

Thread Information