Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hiking Barefoot

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Running barefoot is a real craze now - and was in the past. I haven't tried it and don't intend to. But you can buy expensive running shoes that are suppose to be just like running barefoot but with a bit of support. I do long distance trail running on pretty rough terrain and can't imagine NOT wesring trail running shoes for both support and traction. Stubbed toes on rocks and roots? No Thanks!

Would you pay $200 for these? Nope!!
    No, and I probably couldn't even put them on, but they're cute as a bug's ear, IMO.

Possibly, I've had 3 pieces of glass lodged in my feet in the past couple of weeks. Would expect to pay more like 1/2 that though.
    Trees don't grow on money

The 5-fingers are $110.00 at REI online. Look like the same style as well.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

I spent a big chunk of my summers barefoot, but my feet never became really accustomed to it, even by the end of the summer I would be hobbling around. I have arthritis in my big toe now so I need to wear stiff soles or I am in pain, so I spend most of my life in Brooks these days.

I have two thoughts about this though: 1. This is what bugs me about TOMS shoes. In places where people are used to being barefoot, it is better for them to continue to do so. If you give them a pair of shoes, their feet become tender and then when they outgrow those shoes and can't afford a new pair, then where are they? With sore bare feet! Instead, fix the sanitation issues so that kids can run round barefoot like they always have.

2. I know that people love their 5 fingers and i have many friends that have them, but it kind of makes me think of it as a Stuff White People like issue: We will be barefooted like the tribal people we romanticize, but then we have to create a new product and spend lots of money on it because we must be like the tribal people. That is not a dig to anyone personally who wears them, just a thing of our times. I believe it is covered here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPdb7ZDJKS4

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmoss View Post
    The 5-fingers are $110.00 at REI online. Look like the same style as well.
    Yeah they are probably cheaper than $200 - I was using hyperbolic license :-)! I don't go barefooted at all except for water sports and to play beach volleyball - and even then I often user sand socks (special socks for playing sand sports) because the sand gets too hot sometimes. I don't even wear flip flops or sandals because my sister got plantar faceitis from wearing them and was in alot of pain for a long time. After she got $800 orthodics, it got better. So i would think going barefoot for walking, running, or hiking would also potentially cause Plantar fac..

Thread Information