Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How did you get out of big debt

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul View Post
    but once I got on the road of living simply, my priorities changed. I really value the extra time and energy.
    pretty much sums it up for me too. And we still have a much higher standard of living than most of the world, even living as simply as you can imagine. nice post.

Spartana,
    (I had read some of your posts on this forum and was amazed at your budget.)
    It's funny that when I owned my first home I was actually able to live on very little once it was paid off. Maybe $500/month for basic expenses (utilities, prop tax and insurance, food, etc..) but now that i rent my expenses are much higher. Of course I do have that home equity from the sale in the bank earning (a tiny amount )of interest to off-set my higher monthly expenses. If interest rates were higher then it would be a bit more even. But for me, being Lazy Lindi ;-)!), I really enjoy renting compared to owning so the extra expenses (for now) are worth it and I don't worry about the endless maintenance, repairs and potential costly future expenses that home ownership requires.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    pretty much sums it up for me too. And we still have a much higher standard of living than most of the world, even living as simply as you can imagine. nice post.
    So true flowerseverywhere. Thank you. As a neighbor of mine with a very green thumb once said, "You can't put a price on the garden." For me, that alone makes me feel like a millionairess. From your screen name I'm guessing you have a beautiful garden, too. People in other parts of the world woud be ecstatic with my tiny cottage and rectangle of flat, fertile land. I have the time now to appreciate it and enjoy it.

homemade cafe au laits on my porch.
    This image has really been sticking with me the last few days!

Also the idea the flowers brought up that a bare-bones US existence, for many, is still richer than what many millions in the world have.

Thanks all, for continuing to share this wisdom . . .
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Thread Information