Thread: Cost of local honey

Cost of local honey

Hi there -

Just curious as to what people pay for honey where they live. I'm near San Francisco and the good straight-from-the hive stuff goes for around $16.00 a pint, $25.00 a quart. We go through quite a bit, too. All of our allergies have improved with eating local honey.

I read this scary article on supermarket honey. The author seems legit.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

It's $8-9 a pint here. I'm in NE Georgia.

It will also depends upon which kind of honey you are looking for. My mother always bought buckwheat honey from the local farmer's market in the midwest where we lived at the time. Yet here in the land of buckwheat noodles(Soba) it is surprisingly difficult to find buckwheat honey. It took me two years to track some down and it was about US$17.00 for a 1/3 cup container. Delicious top quality honey that felt like a taste of home My only other source sells it for approx US$65.00 for a 1 1/4 cup container

Sadly real food costs a lot of money and our only other alternative is the less healthy option at the stores or make/grow it yourself.

We keep bees in western Massachusetts and NYC. We sell our MA honey for $10 per pound -- we know other local beekeepers in our area who sell their raw, local honey for around $7 or $8 per pound. We just harvested early season honey from our NYC bees. We sell that for $40 per pound as raw, local honey that is from hives in NYC proper is pretty rare. These are both wildflower honeys, no special varietals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I read this scary article on supermarket honey. The author seems legit.
    Yes. Totally legit. Most honey you buy in the supermarket is not really honey.

Don't forget that the bees have de-populated in the last few years. It could bring up the price of honey...

I think I pay $16 for a quart of buckwheat honey at the farmers' market (it lasts a long time so I don't remember the exact cost).

Thread Information